1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 19, 2012 11:44 PM by maximums

File closing on opening

maximums

Hi all

I have been battling with the same file for several days now...yes battling! I've reverted to backups but after more work on a back up it repeats again—seemingly randomly. I don't even really know how to explain the problem but here goes...

Behaviour without debugger:

Open file (desktop or recent file list)

enter account name and password

file flashes ever so briefly then closes

Behaviour when using debugger:

Open file

enter account name and password

file opens

step by step through the opening scripts

when exiting the last script, the file closes.

There are no script triggers although I did have an "onlastwindowclose" trigger but removed that to eliminate that being a cause. There was also an onLayoutEntry trigger which I also removed.

There is an opening script that loads login data into global fields across several tables.

Error trapping produces nil errors. Dataviewer Get (LastError) maintains a "0" thoughout all script steps.

If I open the file using script debugger and stop the scripts from running the file remains open. A saved compacted copy of this file will open without the debugger and without any apparent repeated closing behaviour.

Go figure! Does anybody have any ideas or recommendations please?

cheers

Linda

• 1. Re: File closing on opening
          maximums

UPDATE: whilst moving/copying files around to start with a new set, I discovered the file I had renamed as damaged would open when moved out of it's original folder—the folder name: "coyName last FY". Deleting the folder and creating a new one by the same name didn't resolve the problem.

Creating a new folder named "coyName prev FY" and placing the file into that folder enabled the file to open.

Is it possible that because the folder has a function name, FileMaker is a more than a little confused?

Maybe I should have wasted waited another day before posting. Now FileMaker won't quit because the file that is being closed is in fact hidden as if their is a parent file calling on it via a relationship. There are definitely no other files open.