4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2012 9:24 PM by CarstenLevin

Does container fields on the server behave as they should according to the documentation

CarstenLevin

When experimenting I can not store the externally stored files with a path defined in "Manage Containers" set to store at another drive or in a folder somewhere else on the system drive.

It works fine, but when hosting the file on the server the path is changed to be relative to the file in the databasefolder in the server folder.

The problem is that I understand that it should work, when reading the manual (the users guide for FileMaker 12 + 4 help topics).

Can anyone find the place in the present documentation telling precisely about this?

Best regards

Carsten

Ps. the documentation can be seen here:

https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/85820#85820

• 1. Re: Does container fields on the server behave as they should according to the documentation
          ch0c0halic

Carsten may be reading too few books,

When reading the Help topics make sure you read them in Context. Descriptions for FileMaker Pro/Advanced will not necessarily be the same for FileMaker Server. They are different products, performing different functions, with different capabilities, and running in different environments.

§^=)

Question to IT manager Chicken Little, "What are your three main concerns for you datacenter"?

Answer, "Security, security, security".

§^=)

Remember that FileMaker Server is limited in what folders it can access. Security concerns have put (severe) restrictions that you may not like but that any IT manager will tell you are pretty much required.

Next:

Consider that external drive access relies on a "User's" OS level access permissions. Since the "user" in this case is FMS it has no access rights to any mounted volume. It is, in fact, difficult to mount a volume from a headless server. When no user is logged in the OS requires very special instructions to mount and grant access to an external volume. You pretty much have to be an OS guru to know how to do it and I doubt most IT managers will let you because its too much of a security risk if done incorrectly.

• 2. Re: Does container fields on the server behave as they should according to the documentation
            CarstenLevin

Yes all this I do know, and even teach. but can you direct me to the place in FileMaker Pro help or the user manual where FileMaker describe that the behaviour is different on the server and that the paths will change automatically?

Usually FileMaker are wery good at informing about variation in behaviour between server, pro, go and web/iwp. I wonder: Did they forget this part in the manual.

Are you able to find this part of documentation?

btw, do not hope that reading books is a handicap - or that you can read to many books

• 3. Re: Does container fields on the server behave as they should according to the documentation
              wimdecorte

Hi Carsten,

Check out Steven Blackwell's blog on FMforums.com.  The server behavior for RC is described at some length there, in a set of white papers that were released the same days as FM12 was released.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Does container fields on the server behave as they should according to the documentation
                CarstenLevin

Hi Wim, I will.

Althoug it is not so much a problem that I/we are having. We tested FMP 12 for a very long time and had no problems with the behaviour. We are already using the new external storage to get away from supercontainer in our newer solutions.

The issue occurred when I wanted to answer the question from another person here at the forum, who tried to do as documented. I then went deeper into the official documentation and then understood why he tried to do as he dis. The documentaton only states that you can choose any location for storing the files ... and does not mention the obvious change of context when moving the solution to the server. And that is why I have been going through the users guide and the server manual without finding FileMakers description of this behaviour.

As I have written before, in our solutions we are solving this by having a secondary folder on a fast raid system for the databases with the space needed for files (where we need to store larger amounts of files).

I will have a look at Stevens blog and white papers. But do you agree that FileMaker in this case forgot to write about the difference or did I just not read good enough?

Usually I find that FIleMaker are very good when it comes to describing those differences (fmp/fm go/web/iwp/serverscripting-localscripting) etc.