6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2012 6:53 PM by user10625

Export won't launch Adobe Reader

DouglasHilton

I am having trouble getting FileMaker (11 and 12) runing on Windows XP to launch Adober Reader when I export (with the Automatically open option) a container field containing a .PDF document. Export creates a file and completes with an error status of 0, but does not lanch Adober Reader. I have also tried Send Event (fails with error status = 3) and Open URL (fails with error status = 5) without success. FileMaker works perfectly with all other file types (such as .TXT, or .DOC) - it launches the correct application and returns an error status of 0. FileMaker also works properly on Mac OS X and successfully launches Adobe Reader. I realize this may be a configuration issue peculiar to my machine, but I am completely stumped. I have de-installed/re-installed Adobe Reader 10.1.3 many times and checked the Registry entries. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Doug

Here are my script steps:

Allow User Abort [ Off ]

Set Error Capture [ On ]

# DragandDrop::TempContainer defined as: container

# Script parameter source field defined as: container, loaded using Insert File command

Set Field [ DragAndDrop::TempContainer ; Get(ScriptParameter) ]

Set Variable [ $ContainerFilename ; Value:GetAsText(DragAndDrop::TempContainer) ]

If [ Get ( SystemPlatform ) = -2 ]

Set Variable [ $FilePrefix ; Value:"filewin:" ]

Else

Set Variable [ $FilePrefix ; Value:"filemac:" ]

End If

Set Variable [ $ExportFilePath ; Value:$FilePrefix & Get ( TemporaryPath ) & $ContainerFilename ]

Set Variable [ $SendEventFilePath ; Value:$FilePrefix & Get ( TemporaryPath ) & $ContainerFilename ]

Set Variable [ $OpenURLFilePath ; Value:"file:" & Get ( TemporaryPath ) & $ContainerFilename ]

# Export creates file, but does not launch Adober Reader; completes with error status = 0

Export Field Contents [ DragAndDrop::TempContainer ; “$ExportFilePath”; Automatically open ]

Show Custom Dialog [ Title: $ExportFilePath; Message: "Export status:" & Get(LastError); Default Button: “OK”, Commit: “Yes”]

# Send Event does not launch Adober Reader; completes with error status = 3

Send Event [ open document/application ; File Name: “$SendEventFilePath” ] [ Bring application to foreground ]

Show Custom Dialog [ Title: $SendEventFilePath; Message: "Send Event status: " & Get(LastError); Default Button: “OK”, Commit: “Yes”]

# Open URL does not launch Adober Reader; completes with error status = 5

Open URL [ $OpenURLFilePath ] [ No dialog ]

Show Custom Dialog [ Title: $OpenURLFilePath; Message: "Open URL status: " & Get(LastError); Default Button: “OK”, Commit: “Yes”]

• 1. Re: Export won't launch Adobe Reader
          Vaughan

Have you tested the script on another computer to see if it works?

Create a new user on your machine and test. This will determine whether it's a user preferences problem.

• 2. Re: Export won't launch Adobe Reader
            DouglasHilton

No I haven't. I don't have access to another Windows machine. I am also pretty sure it is a configuration issue and I am hoping that someone will have an insight into what I can do to troubleshoot it.

• 3. Re: Export won't launch Adobe Reader
              DouglasHilton

I located another Windows machine and was able to successfully launch Adobe Reader. So the problem is limited to my laptop. If anyone has any suggestions I am still interested in fixing whatever is causing the problem.

• 4. Re: Export won't launch Adobe Reader
                databuzz

Hi Douglas,

I have a client with a similar issue which I haven't been able to resolve yet. In this case we're using the Save as PDF script step set to automatically open the PDF. Works fine on 9 PC's but on 1 PC nothing. The PDF is generated in the correct spot (temp folder in this case) and can be opened by double clicking but the script will not open it on this one PC.

Will update you if we get to the bottom of this - most strange.

Andrew

• 5. Re: Export won't launch Adobe Reader
                  DouglasHilton

Hi Andrew,

What do ya know - I run into the same issue when I Save as PDF and specify the automatic open option. Just to let you know the whole picture, I am running Windows XP on a MacBook using Parallels. I would be very interested in hearing from you if you find a solution. In the meantime if there is any more information I can give you please let me know.

Doug

• 6. Re: Export won't launch Adobe Reader
                    user10625

I have a client with a similar process.  Instead of opening Adobe directly, I put the PDF into a container field, by file path reference.  At that point, the container field contains the file path of the PDF.  One can then extract that path (I think I use GetAsText() on the container field) (this is a bit tricky, because it's listed in there twice, but it can be done), and point a web viewer to it.  What you end up with is a web viewer, looking through IE, looking into Adobe.  It basically works but the 3-way connection has been a bit unreliable from time to time (certain versions of Adobe refuse to open in the web viewer), so I am looking forward to upgrade them to 12 and just display things natively.

Christopher Bailey

Baytaflow

Certified for Filemaker 7, 10, 11