DanielShanahan

Zipcode Radius Search - Speed Issue

Discussion created by DanielShanahan on Jun 22, 2012
Latest reply on Jun 26, 2012 by Malcolm

I can use some help/advice on a simple zip radius solution. I have a list of zip codes and the ability to find ones within a certain mile radius. I'm using a custom function "DistanceBetweenPoints ( Lat1; Lon1; Lat2; Lon2; Units )" by Vaughan Bromfield, Vaughan Bromfield Design.

The process works as expected. The problem is speed. Somewhere in the process a calculation must occur. I've tried having the calculation at the field level (both calculated field and auto-calc), I've tried inserting the calculation into a number field, etc. I've also experimented with Replace Field Contents, Looping a Set Field, using ExternalSQL, etc.

Am I missing something very obvious? Is there a way to do this in FileMaker with better speed results? The potential client who is asking for this feature would like to use it on his web site. Currently, the way I have it set up, it is very slow on my local machine (iMac 2.66 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB memory), so I cannot imagine hosting it and using CWP to access the data.

By the way, what I have in mind is something like this.

All thoughts/comments/suggestions welcome!

Attachments

Outcomes