1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2012 7:55 AM by sastickf

FMP 12 Odd Screen Behaviour - Feels Rather Insectoid

StephenWonfor

Hi

I think I posted somethng about this before but I am unable to recall the terms I used and searching has revealed nothing.

FMA12 OSX 10.7 working on a remotely hosted database. Run a simple print script. Or rather tried to - clicked the button. It stayed clicked. Nothing happened.

The aftermath:

1. None of the fields are accesible - can not click into any of them.

2. Buttons that are formatted to change shading when pressed work. But none of the buttons do anything.

3. I can open scripteditor, can create a new script but cannot add any script steps. Clicking adds nothing to the script body. If Iisave the script, I can, and reopen it all the things I clicked are there now. None of the scripts will run from "Manage Scripts".

4. I can manage database - add fields, change schema etc.

5. Nothing in the script debugger.

6. I can get into layout mode but cannot access any of the objects. I note that the "Records" menu is still showing - all other menus seem normal. Thud I cannot duplicate a layout.There are NO custom menus.

7. I can not quit Filemaker.

8. I can create new windows but they are all as dead as the original.

The script went like this:

UserAbort off

New window

GTRR to details table

Enter Preview Mode(pause)

Close window

So - script is still running but debugger is broken. Or debugger is not broken but something else is.

Stephen

• 1. Re: FMP 12 Odd Screen Behaviour - Feels Rather Insectoid
          CarstenLevin

I am not able to offer you any advice.

It has happened 5-6 times for me over the last 3 months.

Mac OS 10.7, latest version. FileMaker 12.0v1.

Had to force quit FileMaker. But since I, as you, are working on hosted files - ALWAYS - nothing was lost, but the very last action.

I thought the problem could be due to me having FileMaker 12.0v2 Advanced and at the same time Pro + FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced open at the same time.

I have not heard of other people having this problem, therefore I assumed that the cause was my-not-so-very-normal-situation with 2-3 different filemakers open at the same time.

How about you: I guess that you are having only one FIleMaker open?

• 2. Re: FMP 12 Odd Screen Behaviour - Feels Rather Insectoid
            StephenWonfor

Carsten

Would have had 11A open as well.

Stephen

-

PLIERS:  Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters.  (---Attributed to the list at http://techtalk.parts-express.com/; Also claimed by others...)

• 3. Re: FMP 12 Odd Screen Behaviour - Feels Rather Insectoid
              timcimbura

I'm seeing this same issue. Reported it here...Seems to be a FileMaker 12 bug related to New Window or Go To Related Record creating a New Window.

Happens in FileMaker Advanced OR regular FileMaker.

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/cd8f58e739?start=1&stop=10#200635

• 4. Re: FMP 12 Odd Screen Behaviour - Feels Rather Insectoid
                Stephen Huston

Can you tell at what point in your script things froze-up?

UserAbort off

New window

GTRR to details table

Enter Preview Mode(pause)

Close window

1. You have set a new window script step before the GTRR step, which has its own options to use if you want a new window, so I am not clear what that is about. There have been several reports (me included) of some issues with scripting new windows in 12. I You certainly don't want to call one unnecessarily.
                2. I have gotten in the habit of using an IF test before invoking GTRR to be sure there are records to go to, otherwise your script steps which follow may end up trying to operate on the found set rather than the related records.
                3. I don't see anything to exit from Preview Mode, so some stuff, including buttons, won't work while in Preview Mode.

If this is a sub-script, maybe some of these issues are dealt with outside of the script you posted, but otherwise you have several loose ends which could be hanging you up.

• 5. Re: FMP 12 Odd Screen Behaviour - Feels Rather Insectoid
                  CarstenLevin

Then ... just elaborating: Since we do not have a lot of complaints from other people, could it have something to do with having more FileMaker's open at the same time?

As developers we do often do strange things. This evening I am running FileMaker Pro and Pro Advanced 12 with the same solution - thereby being able to watch the rd while scripting.

So far no problems today, but I assume that the problem is connected to using two FileMaker's on the same computer simultanously.

Best regards

Carsten

Ps. I am not sure that I have had the problem within the latest month.

• 6. Re: FMP 12 Odd Screen Behaviour - Feels Rather Insectoid
                    StephenWonfor

Carsten

I have sen this on a client computer where only FMP12 was running.  Only other app was "Finder".  Click button, script runs, spawns window, pauses, closes on pause.  Click again and we were in "Force Quit" territory.

Stephen

-

"Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more." --- Mark Twain

• 7. Re: FMP 12 Odd Screen Behaviour - Feels Rather Insectoid
                      timcimbura

This has nothing to do with running 2 copies of FileMaker at the same time. I see the issue on computers where only 1 copy of FileMaker is installed.

• 8. Re: FMP 12 Odd Screen Behaviour - Feels Rather Insectoid
                        timcimbura

This whole issue seems related to the following thread...

https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/86449#86449

I'm getting the behavior when issuing the New Windows script step.

• 9. Re: FMP 12 Odd Screen Behaviour - Feels Rather Insectoid
                          timcimbura

Just wondering if this issue can be fixed by deleting the offending New Window or Go To Related Record script step...and then recreating it natively in FileMaker 12. This could be a lot of work but potentially fix the issue without waiting for a bug fix from FileMaker.

This would be consistent with the idea that the script step somehow is messed up in the conversion from 11-12 but creating scripts natively in 12 doesn't exhibit the issue.

• 10. Re: FMP 12 Odd Screen Behaviour - Feels Rather Insectoid
                            sastickf

Hello Tim,

I have seen this behavior several times and it always seems to be with the "New Window" script step.  It is very frustrating as I have had to force quit several times in a day, and I never like to continue working from a solution in which I had to force quit.  I never considered your idea that somehow that particular script step (New Window) got messed up in the conversion from 11-12.  I am working in a converted solution.  You made that comment on 6/27/12... have you consistently proven that to be true?  I would be happy to go through my scripts and replace that step with a new one created in FM 12 if that is the case!

Thank you!

• 11. Re: FMP 12 Odd Screen Behaviour - Feels Rather Insectoid
                              timcimbura

I have not found any solution to this (major) issue. The work around is to not create new windows from scripts. I understand FileMaker is aware of the issue and was able to reproduce it in at least one file...so we can HOPE for a fix in a future release.

• 12. Re: FMP 12 Odd Screen Behaviour - Feels Rather Insectoid
                                Stephen Huston

Yes, FMI is aware. It was reported to them back during the FMP12 pre-release software phase, but too late for them to deal with it as a bug before the scheduled release date. Seems like it's taking longer than it should to fix this fairly worrisome New Window bug.

• 13. Re: FMP 12 Odd Screen Behaviour - Feels Rather Insectoid
                                  sastickf

I find that workaround (to not open new windows in scripts) to have some humor in that I was reviewing the FileMaker Design Guide Best Practices for Designing Custom Business Solutions for iPad & iPhone that they sent out an e-mail with a link to this week and noticed on page 7 that they suggested:

"Multiple Windows Avoid opening multiple windows in your solution. Instead, allow the user to easily navigate to a layout within the same window that allows them to accomplish the intended task."

It seems they wanted to force iOS solutions to be developed without multiple windows!!!   I sure hope they are still working on the solution to get this bug resolved ASAP, it has cost me a lot of time & lost work!

• 14. Re: FMP 12 Odd Screen Behaviour - Feels Rather Insectoid
                                    AlanStirling

Hi Sastickf

I have also found that FileMaker Go cannot handle multiple windows, only dialog boxes in front of the main screen. On investigation, it is IOS itself that cannot handle multiple windows, so this is not just a FileMaker issue.

Under these circumstances, it would seem to be good advice from FileMaker to suggest that we don't design systems with multiple windows for IOS.

Best wishes - Alan Stirling

1 2 Previous Next