6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2012 4:52 PM by Malcolm

Duplicate file references consequences ?

fmpvince

Hi,

I've noticed that my solution is littered by duplicate file references : I mean that in the Manage External Data Sources, there's several entries that points to the same files.

For instance :

Name Details

Vendors Filepath:vendors

Vendors 2 Filepath:vendors

Vendors 3 Filepath:vendors

Those duplicate File references are used in script steps, relationships, fields etc.

I'm wondering if there's any bad consequences, besides code readability, to those duplicated file ref : Speed loss, memory footprint, more network utilisation ?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Duplicate file references consequences ?
          DaveRawcliffe

A converted .fmp5 file ?

Flag "•" all the references other than the first

Name                    Details

Vendors                 Filepath:vendors

Vendors 2              Filepath:vendors

Vendors 3              Filepath:vendors

Run the DDR & analyzers - Find and repoint all "•Name" to "Name" in all instances.

When all are repointed delete the "•Name" file references. A pain in the neck but necessary.

As it is all those bad things you mention are in play

HTH,

Dave

• 2. Re: Duplicate file references consequences ?
            Malcolm

I've noticed that my solution is littered by duplicate file references : I mean that in the Manage External Data Sources, there's several entries that points to the same files.

I'm wondering if there's any bad consequences, besides code readability, to those duplicated file ref : Speed loss, memory footprint, more network utilisation ?

This is common in solutions that have moved forward from v3, v5 days.

I don't know what happens behind the scenes. From experience I know that there is a correlation between odd/inexplicable behaviours and duplicate file references. There may be other factors at play but I like to integrate them and usually do it as one of the first tasks when I start working with a solution.

malcolm

• 3. Re: Duplicate file references consequences ?
              usbc

In my experience, they eventually come back after purging.

I don't know for sure but I think it is a result of "Can't find File such and such." after moviing a file from machine to machine.

• 4. Re: Duplicate file references consequences ?
                fmpvince

Thanks David,

as I use the excellent Base Elements from goya, I'm able to relink them

When all are repointed delete the "•Name" file references. A pain in the neck but necessary.

As it is all those bad things you mention are in play

Do your have factual evidence, I agree they sound like a bad thing, but I'm looking for documented proven issues that are due to that.

• 5. Re: Duplicate file references consequences ?
                  Stephen Huston

There are several obvious dangers:

1. if file references to the same file are edited separately (or even manually with the risk of typos) you run the risks of
                    a) one of them failing while the others appear to work (can result in very long delays or failure)
                    b) attempts to connect via more than one address on the network, which can create licensing conflict issues which shut down  FMPro/Adv
                  2. If you ever need to repoint a file when modifying the solution, all possible data references need to stil match the new address. Having one reference only makes this much safer and reliable.

In short, you increase the chances of future errors when you have duplicate references. Future errors is a legitimate concern; after all...

"The Future is HERE! It's just not widely distributed yet."

• 6. Re: Duplicate file references consequences ?
                    Malcolm

Do your have factual evidence, I agree they sound like a bad thing, but I'm looking for documented proven issues that are due to that.

Then ask Filemaker. FMP Advanced does not provide us with the tools to do that.

Malcolm