8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2012 8:32 AM by Mike_Mitchell

Permissions - field selectable not editable

greginchrist

I know permissions can be applied to several layers in FMP. Can anyone point me in the right direction to make the text in a field selectable but not alow non-admin users to edit the field. I have been trying a few things to no avil.

Thank you sincerely!

• 1. Re: Permissions - field selectable not editable
          hrc

Hi

FileMaker's internal security manager with its "Privilege Sets" can only manage access privileges based on records as a whole.

So you need to jump through hoops to reach your goal. I'll give you 3 suggestions on how to solve the problem. Perhaps someone else can add more ways to do so.

Suggestion 1

You could use an OnObjectEnter trigger and check whether the current user has administrative privileges. If not you could force the user to leave the field again. Possibly, you could display a dialog to inform the user that he/she is not allowed to manipulate the field.

Suggestion 2

You could use an OnRecordLoad trigger and store the contents of all fields accessible to admins only in either global fields or global variables. You could then go on to use an OnCommit trigger to double check whether the critical fields were modified and to restore their contents from the global fields/variables if a non-admin modified them.

Suggestion 3

You could create an extra table for admin fields and connect it 1:1 to a second table containing fields accessible to all users. You could then go on to use the native FileMaker security manager to prevent non-admin users from manipulating the records in the admin table.

• 2. Re: Permissions - field selectable not editable
            Mike_Mitchell

Greg -

In the Security dialog (File > Manage > Security), you'll need to set the privileges so the person has View access, but not Edit access. The default [Read-Only Access] privilege set has this for all records in all tables. If you want more granularity than that, you'll need to create a new privilege set. Then attach the privilege set to whatever accounts you want to have that restriction.

HTH

Mike

• 3. Re: Permissions - field selectable not editable
              Mike_Mitchell

My initial answer was based on doing it at the record level. As hirtit points out, if you want to do it at the individual field level, it's a little trickier.

In addition to the possibilities he suggests, you can have a second layout for the non-admin users with the protected fields swapped out with calculations that are set to be equal to the original fields (i.e. calcField = dataEntryField). This will allow the user to select, but not edit, the contents of the field.

HTH

Mike

• 4. Re: Permissions - field selectable not editable
                karendweaver

This is incorrect.  FileMaker's internal security can be used to manage access at the field level.  You can apply view only, no access, or modification privileges to individual fields in a record.

Karen

• 5. Re: Permissions - field selectable not editable
                  greginchrist

Thanks guys. I was trying to work with it at the record level before. Thanks for the direction!

May the Lord Jesus bless you! Thanks a ton.

• 6. Re: Permissions - field selectable not editable
                    Mike_Mitchell

Oops.   

Yes, Karen's correct. Make a new privilege set, choose "Custom privileges" under Records, and the options Karen identifies are available.

(I need caffeine. More caffeine.)

Mike

• 7. Re: Permissions - field selectable not editable
                      greginchrist

If I select view only there, I could be wrong but I thought that would NOT allow the user to select the copy????

• 8. Re: Permissions - field selectable not editable
                        Mike_Mitchell

Nope. User can select, copy, etc. Just can't modify.

Mike