4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2012 12:40 PM by Stephen Huston

how can i show notifications?

m.mcdonell

I want to be able to show how many records have a client reps name in it and be displayed/updated as the user works. This could be updated with a script trigger that simply preforms the script every time the user changes records.

How can I obtain this as a notification. I can figure it out as a tooltip but not as a visible number. I can graphically create the appearance of an icon with a number once I get this script working.

I am using FP12 Pro and this is 2 tables attached as a relationship by the client ID.

Thanks

Michael

• 1. Re: how can i show notifications?
          erolst

If you have a calculation which works as a tooltip in the given context, then it should also work in a calculation field which you can place on the layout. Or am I missing something?

• 2. Re: how can i show notifications?
            Stephen Huston

And the same calculation result could be set with a $$globalVariable that's set via a script trigger OnRecordLoad, using the same calculation you have in the tooltip. That would update every time a record loads, and give it to you the screen via the merged-variable without requiring a new field in the system.

• 3. Re: how can i show notifications?
              m.mcdonell

I had something similar (or so I thought) in a tooltip but it apparantly is quite different. Now I am stuck in trying to create a formula/script. This is what I have:

layout a - our team will enter team names into a field and currently the team member goes to layout a and searches the field for there name

What I want is when they are in a different table (layout b) that is connected by a relationship is for a calculation/script to find out how many records have the team names, based upon each username and display the number.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
              Michael

• 4. Re: how can i show notifications?
                Stephen Huston

Several ideas might work depending on the details of your setup:

1. If there is a relationship which is filtered by the various names, you could use the Count (relatedTable::nameField) to return the number of records.
                2. In 12 you could also use the new SQL query function; there is info in the Help file on setting that up.
                3. You could also use the PatternCount function on a List function for the desired name across a relationship if the relationship is not filtered by the names.