10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2013 10:04 AM by disabled_jackrodgers

Is there a way to get borderless popup/dialog windows?

MEC

OK, I've been tasked with implementing some "borderless" popup/dialog windows. 2empower Dialog Master plugin is very close to what I need, BUT it still displays the title bar in the window, AND I want absolutely no scroll bars or title bar.

I was sent the attached screen shot, that is supposedly fm12. This is my goal.

Is this possible? If so is it by means of plugin, hidden feature of fm 12, shell script, etc?

Got thoughts?

TIA,

Larry

• 1. Re: Is there a way to get borderless popup/dialog windows?
          Stephen Huston

Modal windows in FMP12 can create essentially the same effect. They have to be called via the New Window script step using the advanced window options settings in that script step's options, turning off all of the window controls.

Be sure you have a button on the layout to close the window before testing that script step or you may have to force-quit FileMaker to get out of the window you open as modal!

• 2. Re: Is there a way to get borderless popup/dialog windows?
            MEC

Stephen, this still leaves the Title bar, and both scroll bar areas (right and bottom). I'd like no title bar, and no white areas where the scroll bars would be.

• 3. Re: Is there a way to get borderless popup/dialog windows?
              Mike_Mitchell

Larry -

I don't know if Troi Dialog will do what you want, but it might be worth checking out.

Mike

• 4. Re: Is there a way to get borderless popup/dialog windows?
                Stephen Huston

Yep, a limitation of the Window in FM. However, one plus is that in the script you can also NAME that window so that it has a meaningful or even instructional title as a dialog.

• 5. Re: Is there a way to get borderless popup/dialog windows?
                  keywords

You can achieve something like this as follows:

1.     Create a transparent tint, say 50% black, in Photoshop or similar and save it as a png.

2.     Duplicate the layer from which the popup/dialog will be activated and place this tint on top, dragging its size out to completely cover the layout. Make the tint a button with a single Go to Field() step. This will effectively disable all fields and buttons beneath it.

3.     Place a new rectangle in the middle of the layout on which to build your popup/dialog contents.

4.     Make the rectangle itself (or a cross in the corner or whatever) a button which completes whatever processes you are using the popup for and return the user to the original layout.

The effect from the user's point of view is rather like what I get when I click on your png screenshot, where this window is concealed behind a tint and your attachment is visible in an overlay panel.

• 6. Re: Is there a way to get borderless popup/dialog windows?
                    thirdsun

You could create a tab control object with 2 tabs - one is empty, the other has your desired content, both are transparent. They need to have object names assigned and via "Go to Object [...]" you can now show and hide the content in the second tab.

Furthermore in FM12 it got a lot easier dealing with those tabs: Now you can prepare your tabs' content in an offscreen area and once done you move to the desired location - everything that is inside the tabs will be re-positioned too. I think this was different in FM11 and makes designing popovers on top of all the constantly displayed objects much simpler.

• 7. Re: Is there a way to get borderless popup/dialog windows?
                      Mike Duncan

The original screenshot doesn't look like any kind of "real" modal dialog, I think keywords is correct that it's some graphics and overlapping layout objects to get the desired effect.

It's a little tedious to duplicate the entire layout, disable all the fields and put your dialog over it all, but the result can look quite nice. I have done this before without duplicating an entire layout by using the tab object and hiding the tabs from the user. Then you copy all the layout elements, fields and such, put them in the "modal" tab and just switch to that tab with a "go to object" to essentiall bring up that dialog. It can look however you want.

• 8. Re: Is there a way to get borderless popup/dialog windows?
                        keywords

Mike, you have missed one vital point I made---all you need to do to disable ALL fields and buttons and triggers is to make the overlying tint itself a button with a single Go to Field() step.  This will stop the user doing anything that is covered by the tint.

• 9. Re: Is there a way to get borderless popup/dialog windows?
                          Mike Duncan

Except if there are any fields or anthing else in the tab order... I found it's safer to disable all fields.

• 10. Re: Is there a way to get borderless popup/dialog windows?

A modal dialog appears on top of the current window and locks the screen. I used 4D a lot and miss its 8 or more window styles which is what your after.

So, let's use a little logic. We can lock a window modaly. So to get the appearance of a window with no scroll bars, just create a layout with the type of look you want. Maximize the current window and show the layout while switching into modal mode using Open Window, etc.

You have the appearance of a modal dialog but it won't drag, of course. And it replaces the current window content... Which is why this idea isn't used very often.

Troi's plugin or someone elses might offer what you are looking for. Or try Applescript.