6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2012 8:06 AM by Stephen41

Validate my field, not allow "/"

Stephen41

Hi,

I for some reason can't figure out how to validate a field so that after text is entered, the field is searched to make sure there is no "/" in the field. Help!

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Validate my field, not allow "/"
          ariley

You can do validation in 2 places: 

On the field itself. You can use the filter function e.g. to get rid of things or substitute to replace them.

Or you can initiate a script with a trigger and then see what's in the field (in a variable) and then make sure your data is clean.

Hope this helps.

agnes b. riley . filemaker and web development

FileMaker Business Alliance . FileMaker Technical Network

www.zerobluetech.com (http://www.zerobluetech.com)

T 201-299-6223 (NJ) .

212-842-8830 (NY)

917-660-7221 (C)

FileMaker Certified in 10 and 11

people + products + events + todos + invoices + documents = productivity

• 2. Re: Validate my field, not allow "/"
            Stephen Huston

A. Riley's cleanup function or similar content replacement functions are enabled by setting the Field Definitions area to auto-enter by calculation, using various Case, Substitute, and Fileter operators on the fields own content, so it will update itself when it is edited and there is a commit or field-exit. This does not require script triggers when done at the field definition level.

This also bypasses the need for these things as validation tests; just set them to self-clean on entry.

• 3. Re: Validate my field, not allow "/"
              Stephen41

I guess I'm more looking for the actual calculation itself.  I know where to put it, I just can't figure out what to create.

• 4. Re: Validate my field, not allow "/"
                keywords

Two thoughts:

1.     If you want the user to be prompted in some way, use a script trigger on field modify, eg: 

If [ PatternCount ( YourFieldName ; "/" ) ]

Show Custom Dialog [ Title: "OOPS!"; Message: "You cannot use a \"/\" in this field"; Buttons: “OK” ]

Go to Field [ YourFieldName ]

End If

Of course, the script can also be set to do other things besides return the user to the field; the world is your oyster!

2.     If you want to simply not allow the / character, then you can set the field to auto replace itself using:  Substitute ( self ; "/" ; "" ).  This will simply delete the /; if you want it replaced with something (a space perhaps?) then you only need to specify that in the third parameter.

Hope that's of some help.

• 5. Re: Validate my field, not allow "/"
                  Vaughan

Stephen Huston wrote:

A. Riley's cleanup function or similar content replacement functions are enabled by setting the Field Definitions area to auto-enter by calculation, using various Case, Substitute, and Fileter operators on the fields own content, so it will update itself when it is edited and there is a commit or field-exit. This does not require script triggers when done at the field definition level.

This also bypasses the need for these things as validation tests; just set them to self-clean on entry.

Data can be imported that does not run the auto-enter functions. So if there is a real need to NEVER have the / character then also use validation, this will prevent the record from being imported.

• 6. Re: Validate my field, not allow "/"
                    Stephen41

Thank you!