4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2012 4:40 PM by Malcolm

Tabs within a panel displaying different sizes

DavidZakary

I have a tab panel with a sub-tab panel within it. FM11

Parent panel is 470 pixels wide - this one is working fine.

The sub-panel, however, is displaying something odd. I click on the first tab and it is 450 pixels wide - all good. Completely contained within the parent.

The next couple of tabs are the same. However, when I get to the 4th tab, it displays a width of 470 pixels on the Inspector and the size visually jumps to 470. The subsequent tabs are all back at the 450 width. It is just this one tab that is messed up.

Anyone seen this behaviour before? And have a fix (other than deleting it and re-building?)

Of course, this is in a production file. Plenty of backups, but not sure how far back this goes. Wasn't my creation.

Dave Zakary

• 1. Re: Tabs within a panel displaying different sizes
          Stephen Huston

Are these separate tab objects or just different tabs of one tab object?

If separate tab objects, is one of them set to resize with anchoring on left and right?

If on the same tab object, does the one that's resizing have any objects on it individually set to resize with anchoring left and right?

And, no, I haven't seen this myself, but am guessing about what could be causing something like this.

• 2. Re: Tabs within a panel displaying different sizes
            DavidZakary

There are many tab panels. Only one is causing grief. All are set to fixed top and fixed left.

The parent tab panel is fine.

One of the child panels is the "problem child". It is a panel with 8 tabs. Only the 4th tab is giving trouble. It wants to expand its width.

Something that I didn't mention - the jump in width occurs in Layout mode. Browse is a bit messed up too. On every other tab the display is fine. As soon as I click on the 4th tab the width jumps.

This started happening after a slight adjustment was made in the width of the entire child panel via the Inspector. The width was increased by a couple of pixels. It still fits within the parent panel. The problem tab then increased its own width by 20 pixels - causing it to be outside of the parent. The tab panel is not grouped with anything else. It is just that one tab. I went back to a backup to check and it was fine there.

I ended up rebuilding the entire parent and child tab panel setup. Seems fine now. Fingers crossed.

• 3. Re: Tabs within a panel displaying different sizes
              Stephen Huston

Glad it's fixed.

My suspicion is that resizing in the inspector, if close to the edge of the parent tab object, may have overlapped it with the parent's border, even if it only looked close, which then meant it was not really inside the parent tab but was actually overlapping it, giving unpredictable results.

Tab objects have edges which aren't always as they appear due to shading, border line pixels (even if set to have no color/fill) so that adjusting too closely to them can be a little like adjusting too close to the edge of a sub-summary list object: things don't land where expected even though they look right in layout mode.

These problems have become more critical in FMP12 than in FM11, but the issue of some object edges not being quite where they appear visually has been around a good while.

• 4. Re: Tabs within a panel displaying different sizes
                Malcolm

The sub-panel, however, is displaying something odd. I click on the first tab and it is 450 pixels wide - all good. Completely contained within the parent.

The next couple of tabs are the same. However, when I get to the 4th tab, it displays a width of 470 pixels on the Inspector and the size visually jumps to 470. The subsequent tabs are all back at the 450 width. It is just this one tab that is messed up.

Anyone seen this behaviour before? And have a fix (other than deleting it and re-building?)

Yes, I've seen it. It first appeared when adding tab to an existing tab panel group. I had the individual tab panel selected (bold hilite on that tab only) and set the size in the inspector. From then on that tab behaved as if it had a different set of parameters to the others in the group.

To our horror, it started to happen in tab panels on other layouts. I never got to the bottom of the problem. All sorts of tweaks worked temporarily, however, the problem would usually reappear after any subsequent editing on those layouts.

Our workaround was, after any editing, to select all tabs in a group (hiliting each tab) then set their size using the inspector.

Malcolm