7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2012 10:02 AM by Karsten

Filemaker Pro 12 conversion: Wrong data in portals

Karsten

Hello

A customer converted a Filemaker Pro 10 database to Filemaker Pro 12. After conversion, a problem occurred in the printlayouts and in preview mode, which cannot be traced in browse-mode.

System: MacOS 10.7.4
      Filemaker: FMP12

The printlayout in question is complex. The data part has several portals to make a complex print possible. Some data appears twice: Once on the right spot, but also in portals placed on different records. Thus, for some records, additional lines appear in preview mode, which are not visible in browse mode. These additional lines are not wrongly located, but they appear twice.

I carefully checked the layout in order that portals are not overlapping etc. Both layouts and data seem to be correct. The behavior is strange, it worked well in previous versions of Filemaker and I've never seen anything like it before.

Has anyone encountered this problem? It might be a bug in Filemaker Pro 12.

Regards

Karsten

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 conversion: Wrong data in portals
          Mike_Mitchell

Karsten -

Just offhand, this sounds like a print driver issue. Can you post the file, or some screen shots?

Mike

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 conversion: Wrong data in portals
            Karsten

Hello Mike

Thank you for your suggestion. I think, however, that that is unlikely, as the same error occurs on at least 3 tested environments in 3 different locations. Output in PDF gives the same erroneous results.

The following screenshot gives a sample page on a new layout I produced for testing. The exact same errors appear as on the original layout, which are as follows:

portal_errors_fmp12_a.jpg

portal_errors_fmp12_b.jpg

- 2 records are shown (211 and 213.2)

- The first record 211 shows 4 related and dynamic portals, belonging to the same record, and placed on the data part of the layout. This record is OK.

- The second record 213.2 should only have the first line listed, but additional lines from the previous record appear miraculously ("Baumeisterarbeiten...")

- The second record thus has "ghost-records" which are nowhere visible in browse mode and which are not linked.

- This is just a single occurance in a much longer list, in which similar errors appear randomly (I see no clue).

Any idea what could be wrong?

Regards

Karsten

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 conversion: Wrong data in portals
              Mike_Mitchell

Interesting. When you say "dynamic" portals, do you mean portals that use sliding? And the "data part" is the body?

Are these portals looking into different tables, or do they use different keys in the parent table to look into the same child table?

Mike

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 conversion: Wrong data in portals
                Karsten

Hello Mike

Yes, dynamic means that in printing (like the screenshot included above – in preview mode) a larger portal as placed on the body is reduced to the number of lines needed and the layout part is reduced in size.

The portals also are from different linked tables. The tables are uniquely linked through the numbers shown in the first line of any record (i.e. 211 and 213.2).

This worked well in previous versions, but does not work in FMP12. The errors became visible after conversion.

• 5. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 conversion: Wrong data in portals
                  Mike_Mitchell

I can think of two possibilities:

1) This is a screen rendering issue because of the new layout rendering protocols in version 12.

2) There's something broken in the database itself.

To test it, I suggest trying a couple of things:

1) On a completely fresh layout in the same database, see if you can replicate the problem by creating new portals (not copy and paste, but created fresh).

2) See if you can replicate the problem in a completely new database (one that has not been converted).

Let us know what you find out.

Mike

• 6. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 conversion: Wrong data in portals
                    Karsten

Good suggestions, Mike – I will test and give feedback.

Have a good weekend

Karsten

• 7. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 conversion: Wrong data in portals
                      Karsten

Hello Mike

Creating a new table with new occurences of the portals solved the issue.

It does not solve the customers need for past projects – as there are over 100 such files, and redoing them all is too tedious toil, but for new files this will mark the way.

Thank you for your help!

Karsten