1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 30, 2012 5:13 AM by erolst

Accessing data from another FM12 database

ziceg

Basically I have one database (a) that deals with Part Nos and (b) another that would need access to some of the data/info stored in (a).

How can I get access to the info from (a) eg Part No & Description shown in (b) as a Drop down list. Taking into account that (a) could easily have over 2000 records that do change. Once chosen in (b) they would remain on that record, so not worried if that record gets deleted from original (a). Information would always be onsided ie I would never change (a) records through this link.

All the info I've been able to find so far keeps talking about importing records into a new table, but I don't see how that would work for me needing the latest info from (a) streamed into my (b) database. Both databases are sitting in the same FM12 Server.

Thanks for any help you can provide me.

• 1. Re: Accessing data from another FM12 database
          erolst

Define A as an External Data Source in B, and within B you can use tables from A the same way as any internal table from B itself, by adding TOs to the Relationship Graph. Now you can create a value list based on fields in a table of A.

How you manage/use a drop-down with 2000+ part #s is another matter. If the parts are categorized, you could set up a filtered value list by defining a relationship filtered by a global field where you select the category. This would give you drop-down lists that should be better manageable. If there are still too many matching records, consider using a portal for selection.

1 of 1 people found this helpful