2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2012 4:34 PM by keywords

1. Re-sizing layouts? 2. See nothing in preview.

godeak

Two seemingly very simple question, but I'm puzzling over them. Seems like I must be missing something obvious, but here goes:

1) How do I re-size layouts? I know if you drag elements down it will prompt you to expand the layout vertically. I also understand basically how the autosizing locks work. But how can I customize the horiz. & vert. size of a layout so it will default to that size? For ex,I want an "enter site"/login layout for remote users, then one sort of layout for entering new data, then another sort for generating reports/charts. I want these 3 types of layouts to have different sizes/shapes. How can I do this? I was looking at the instructions for customizing layouts in Advanced, but I don't see syntax to specify layout size.

2) When I go to preview mode -- for any layout -- I see nothing. Doesn't matter if it's one I've adapted from a pre-existing template, or one I've codged together myself. Same thing if I try to print.

One possibility I thought of is that because I'm building the db, and don't yet have any records entered (even mock test-records), preview won't work (ie, it needs data to show the layouts). But this doesn't make sense; for example, if you want to print a generate-report layout, just to show what it looks like (e.g., to show a client or colleague the layout), shouldn't you be able to see the graphic elements? Whether or not you've loaded any records, or indeed if any records exist??

Confused. BTW, using FM Pro 11 Advanced in MacOS.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: 1. Re-sizing layouts? 2. See nothing in preview.
          karendweaver

1 setting the size of the layout does not resize the window.  I think it's the window resize you are asking about?  There is a script step to "adjust window" - resize to fit.  You can attach that script step to an " on layout load" script trigger to automatically resize when you enter the layout.

2. You must have a record present in order to get a print preview, except if you choose "print blank record, showing fields ":  ( options, as formatted, with boxes, or with underlines) in the Print dialog box.

Karen

Sent from my iPad

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 1. Re-sizing layouts? 2. See nothing in preview.
            keywords

Re 1:  I find the simplest solution is to create a blank layout of the configuration you want (in your case create three blanks) and then copy that each time you want to create a new layout.

Re 2:  The FM rule seems to be no record present, no print.  Just create one empty record and you can print away, and in the print options, as Karen says, print a blank record.

Cheers!

1 of 1 people found this helpful