4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2012 8:40 AM by ResoluteSystems

Behaviour of Import scripts

ResoluteSystems

In FileMaker's web page Miscellaneous Behavior Changes In FileMaker Pro 12 there is a section on Importing Data that starts with this paragraph:

"FileMaker Pro no longer imports data from fields that were added or changed after field mapping was defined in the Field Mapping dialog box. Data is imported only from fields specified during the original import mapping."

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10084/

This doesn't seem to be happening in a database converted from FMP 11. This is for a database that includes updating by the customers who receive a clone of the new version, containing scripts that import data from the old version. The import scripts were written years ago in FMP 8 and specify matching field names in all the tables. They've worked well for several years, through several versions of FM Pro and many updates. FileMaker's statement above specifically says that these scripts must be re-set if fields are added or changed. So I was surprised when the updater continued to work as it always has without re-setting the import scripts, whether or not the old version of the database and the updater clone contain fields that were added since the import scripts were written.

I've alwys understood that import field name matching is resolved at runtime. FMI now seem to be saying that isn't the case any more, although it still seems to work that way in my example. Can anyone explain how, and in what circumstances the behaviour of FMP 12 has changed?

Colin

• 1. Re: Behaviour of Import scripts
          Malcolm

"FileMaker Pro no longer imports data from fields that were added or changed after field mapping was defined in the Field Mapping dialog box. Data is imported only from fields specified during the original import mapping."

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10084/

In the past you could create a table with, lets say, 15 fields and then create an import script to bring data into that table from another database.

One day you add a new field to the table. When you next run the import script your data is imported to the wrong fields because the field maps have changed. There is no warning and it creates a big mess.

Now with v12 you are able to add new fields without affecting scripts that contained import script steps. This is great news.

Malcolm

• 2. Re: Behaviour of Import scripts
            TomHays

ResoluteSystems wrote:

I've alwys understood that import field name matching is resolved at runtime. FMI now seem to be saying that isn't the case any more, although it still seems to work that way in my example. Can anyone explain how, and in what circumstances the behaviour of FMP 12 has changed?

FM12 fixes a bug relating to importing. This bug did not affect imports using "matching field names" so you were immune to it. It only affected imports that relied on the field order in the imported file.

-Tom

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Behaviour of Import scripts
              ResoluteSystems

Thanks for the reply Malcolm

For custom field selections that's my understanding as well. However it doesn't clarify whether or not the change applies to field name matching. FileMaker's notes suggest it does, what I've seen suggests it doesn't. That's what I'd like to clarify.

Colin

• 4. Re: Behaviour of Import scripts
                ResoluteSystems

Thanks Tom.

Do you know if that's documented by FMI anywhere so I can pass it on to a customer?

Colin