6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2012 11:54 AM by timwhisenant

How to get year only?

louie23

In date type, we get the month, date and year. How can I set get year only?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: How to get year only?
          wimdecorte

FM has a "year" function to extract the year from a date.  Since the  year is just a number, if you are going to store that in a date field you will storing a date of Jan 1st of that year.  So you may want to store it in its own number field.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to get year only?
            louie23

Thanks wimdecorte for this helpful advise. Keep it up!

• 3. Re: How to get year only?
              beverly

Yes! the Year(date) is a great function for pulling just this value out of another valid date.

Yes! you can store a Year in a date field and FileMaker thinks for you by putting month=1 and day=2. It may or may not be what you want, but it's a useful feature.

AND...

You can also format a date so that only the year is shown in the field on the layout.

personally, I like to have a separate number field (auto-enter, perhaps) that is just the year. If I have a field "my_date", then the auto-enter is "Year(my_date)". AND I like to have a yearMonth field (also auto-enter perhaps) used for sorting and grouping - it's a text field, but sorts correctly.

yearMonth=GetAsText( Year(my_date) & "_" & Right("00" & Month(my_date); 2) )

1/1/2010 => 2010_01

Beverly

• 4. Re: How to get year only?
                comment

Beverly Voth wrote:

Yes! you can store a Year in a date field and FileMaker thinks for you by putting month=1 and day=2. It may or may not be what you want, but it's a useful feature.

Hmm. My version seems to be lacking this "feature". Entering year only into a date field produces an error message: "The value of this field must be a valid date in the range of years 1 to 4000 and should look like “...”."

• 5. Re: How to get year only?
                  BruceHerbach

As Beverly indicated,  you need to enter values for month and day do that it has a valid date.

Depending on the final desired result,  perhaps a text or number field would be a better choice.

• 6. Re: How to get year only?
                    timwhisenant

Bruce said, “Depending on the final desired result,  perhaps a text or number field would be a better choice.”

Also, realize that the Year function referred to by Wim, returns a number type result, not a date type.

So I second Bruce’s suggestion that a number field would be a better choice.

Tim