2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2012 5:47 AM by TomHays

3 Questions

techprodave

I hope this is the right place for this discussion.

FileMaker is a great product. I've used it for nearly 20 years. But I'm embarking what could be the project from <expletive deleted>. I know, if nothing else, FileMaker is a great place to start. Thanks in advance for your advice and support.

I'm developing a solution that I'd like to market. The target market will be offices with 1 - 50 users. Within 5 years, I expect I may have offices with hundreds of users. Desktops, iPhones, and iPads will be utilized by the users. I expect to be creating a runtime version of this solution. I've considered running this solution as web-based, but I've ruled it out as not being as robust on the web as otherwise.

1. How does one package a large multi-table run time solution in such a way (?aside from utilizing FileMaker Pro Server) that "masks" the fact that it is a FileMaker database?

2. Should I create this with multiple files (each file a table), or a single file with multiple tables within it? (Advantages / Disadvantages?)

3. What pitfalls should I watch out for? (i.e. too many fields in a table. too many tables in the database. too many calculations. too many relationships)

• 1. Re: 3 Questions
          LyndsayHowarth

I've considered running this solution as web-based, but I've ruled it out as not being as robust on the web as otherwise.

I don't totally agree with you about this. Given the number of users you are expecting, I would think it is one of several possibilities.

1. How does one package a large multi-table run time solution in such a way (?aside from utilizing FileMaker Pro Server) that "masks" the fact that it is a FileMaker database?

Even if you are using runtimes, I would have thought you would be connecting to FileMaker Server. Your runtime could be a front-end to the data file(s) on the server.... as could CWP and IWP as well as FMGo

2. Should I create this with multiple files (each file a table), or a single file with multiple tables within it? (Advantages / Disadvantages?)

No. Single file is generally the better way to go if it can manage the load of records created. Images should be stored externally.

3. What pitfalls should I watch out for? (i.e. too many fields in a table. too many tables in the database. too many calculations. too many relationships)

Too much calculation and too much scripting instead of well structured relationships.

The real answer is of course "depends". What are you trying to achieve and who for. Given that FMGo 12 is free, I don't understand why you would want to hide the branding.

- Lyndsay

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 3 Questions
            TomHays

If you create a FileMaker Pro Advanced Runtime solution, you cannot completely hide the fact that is a FileMaker runtime product. The runtime engine will put up a slash screen for a minimum of 2 seconds with the FileMaker brand.

It is unclear from your product description, but it sounds like you may expect that the Runtime will be networked like a real FileMaker Pro client might be. That's not an option for a Runtime solution. There is no networking capability in the runtime engine. It cannot act as a client or server. It is designed to be a standalone app that can only read/write its own copy of the database file(s).

Pitfalls for runtime distribution...

Plan out your update/upgrade strategy carefully. This is one of those areas where a failure to plan ahead can create many headaches for you and frustrations for your users.

Test your installer/updater against all target OS versions and all user permission configurations. The runtime is an app bundled with its own FileMaker runtime database documents in the same folder. Windows and Mac OS X users (and canned installers) don't expect this situation.

-Tom

1 of 1 people found this helpful