AnsweredAssumed Answered

3 Questions

Question asked by techprodave on Jul 9, 2012
Latest reply on Jul 10, 2012 by TomHays

I hope this is the right place for this discussion.

FileMaker is a great product. I've used it for nearly 20 years. But I'm embarking what could be the project from <expletive deleted>. I know, if nothing else, FileMaker is a great place to start. Thanks in advance for your advice and support.

I'm developing a solution that I'd like to market. The target market will be offices with 1 - 50 users. Within 5 years, I expect I may have offices with hundreds of users. Desktops, iPhones, and iPads will be utilized by the users. I expect to be creating a runtime version of this solution. I've considered running this solution as web-based, but I've ruled it out as not being as robust on the web as otherwise.

1. How does one package a large multi-table run time solution in such a way (?aside from utilizing FileMaker Pro Server) that "masks" the fact that it is a FileMaker database?

2. Should I create this with multiple files (each file a table), or a single file with multiple tables within it? (Advantages / Disadvantages?)

3. What pitfalls should I watch out for? (i.e. too many fields in a table. too many tables in the database. too many calculations. too many relationships)

Outcomes