9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2012 12:57 PM by comment

How to avoid Duplicate entry?

alagu123

I have the portal record with check box. I have a button outside near the Portal. When I choose one time, checkbox and click the button, then the selected portal records need to go other portal. I did that by import to move from one portal to other portal.

But I need a functionality only one time allowed to select the checkbox (I mean, the portal records allowed to select only one time). After I transfer the selected portal records, the user cannot allowed to use the check box.

How can I do that? Becoz I need to stop the duplicate record entry from this checkbox.

Please suggest me.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: How to avoid Duplicate entry?
          erolst

Your description is a bit unclear - after the user has checked some (?) portal records and clicked the button, they're transferred to another portal? (and what exactly does that mean?) So if they're not in the portal anymore, you can't mark the checkbox … or are they still there? And what is the portal for? Can it have selected and unselected records at the same time?

Maybe you could post a screenshot, or even better, your file?

• 2. Re: How to avoid Duplicate entry?
            BruceHerbach

Try adding a field to the table that to show the record has been transferred.

Have the script that does the transfer check this field.  If it has been transferred exit the script.  If it hasn't,  set the field to the value for transferred and move the record.

You can also use the field for conditional formatting to show the record has already moved.

HTH

• 4. Re: How to avoid Duplicate entry?
              alagu123

If we say shortly, completely moving selected portal rows (check box) from one portal to another portal by button script. I mean after move the source cannot have the same rows.

For example,

I have portal name Dogs in Layout 1. In the portal, I have 3 rows like Dog row1, Dog row2 and  Dog row3. And outside near this portal (not inside the portal), I have a button called Move your Dogs to Cats.

Another portal name is Cats in Layout 2. That has empty rows.

After I select, Dog row1 and Dog row2 when I click button 'Move your Dogs to Cats', then the selected row Dog row1 and Dog row2 need to move completely to Cats. When I come back to layout 1 and look in the Dogs portal, I need to see only remaining row, Dog row3.

How can I do that ?

• 5. Re: How to avoid Duplicate entry?
                ariley

You collect all the details of the dog you clicked onion to variables, then you delete the portal row. Then you go to the other portal (object), create a new record and fill out the details from the variables. You an even do this with drag and drop.

agnes b. riley . filemaker and web development

www.zerobluetech.com

T 201-299-6223 (NJ) . 212-842-8830 (NY) . 917-660-7221 (C)

FileMaker Certified in 10 and 11

• 6. Re: How to avoid Duplicate entry?
                  beverly

My reply (by email) doesn't seem to show, so I'll repeat:

See if this example will work for you

http://www.excelisys.com/tips-tricks-filemaker-downloads.php

"Drag-and-Drop using the separation model"

Beverly

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 7. Re: How to avoid Duplicate entry?
                    ariley

Nor does mine and other people's. I reported it to Dave Simmerly but I think they are all Rey busy with Devon, that this just fell through the cracks.

agnes b. riley . filemaker and web development

www.zerobluetech.com

T 201-299-6223 (NJ) . 212-842-8830 (NY) . 917-660-7221 (C)

FileMaker Certified in 10 and 11

• 8. Re: How to avoid Duplicate entry?
                      BruceHerbach

Here are a couple of options to get records to move from one portal to another.  These would work with your Dog cat description above.  I think Option 2 would be easier to script.

Option 1

Your script would use the list() function to add the value of the key to the second portal and substitute() to remove the key from the first portal.  A refresh of the screen at the end of the script should update the display.

There is quite a bit to this and you have to come up with a way of keeping a copy of the lists

Option 2

Set up two fields in each of the Portal records P1 and P2.  In the Main layout table create the same fields..   Enter the Value 1 in the main table layouts.  When the Record is created,  P1 in the Portal record auto-enters a 1.  This will have the record show in the first portal.  When your script runs,  it sets the value of P2 to 1 and sets the value of P1 to "" (empty).  Refresh the screen and the record will now appear in the second portal.

Bruce

Note: These options do not duplicate the record or move it to another table,  they just  make them appear in one portal or the other.  Which was my interpretation of your requirements.

HTH

Message was edited by: Bruce Herbach

• 9. Re: How to avoid Duplicate entry?
                        comment

alagu123 wrote:

For example,

I have portal name Dogs in Layout 1. In the portal, I have 3 rows like Dog row1, Dog row2 and  Dog row3. And outside near this portal (not inside the portal), I have a button called Move your Dogs to Cats.

I am afraid your example doesn't make sense. In any real-world situation, you'd want to avoid moving data between tables. If taken literally, the solution in your example would be to change the type of the animal from "Dog" to "Cat, while leaving it in the same "Animals" table. However, I suspect you may be after something else. Why don't you explain your actual situation, instead of providing an abstract example?