1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2012 11:09 AM by bookman

Count 2 Fields Combined

bookman

What does a calculation look like that counts the number of records with a Date Created 2012 but omits or is constrained by a field called Selected as a Previewer?

Should the field type be a Calculation or a Summary?

The result should be a Number.

I keep getting error messages re: field doesn't exist, wrong function, or needs an operator.

I am a novice, this is the first time I've tried to create a calculation, but I'm good at following directions.

I'm guessing my errors are related to the "parentheses" or the position of "not" or the "2012" in the Date Created, or whatever.

The attachment shows my last attempt.

Please help.

Mel

PS. My last posting was marked as a question with a 15-minute time limit. I hope this didn't cause a problem. This posting supersedes it.

• 1. Re: Count 2 Fields Combined
          Stephen Huston

It's not clear what you want to output from the calculation, so I am taking a wild shot here.

Your calc should probably be a Case statement so it can return more than one possibility.

• ie. Case ( is empty ( your field to test here) and [condition of other field here] ; "true" ; "false" )

When you declare a test on a field, you must spell out what that test is comparing with, such as is it empty, is the count greater than a specific number, etc.

Take a look at the Help section in FileMaker's Help menu and see the examples for the various calculation functions to learn how they are properly formed.

If you want to provide details of what you want to test for and what type in info a field might include here, people will usualy help you sort it out.

And, when in doubt, use Text as the calculation result type unless you provide other results yourself or return a specific field as the result, in which case use that field's data type.

• 2. Re: Count 2 Fields Combined
            comment

Why post the same question twice?

https://fmdev.filemaker.com/thread/65665?tstart=0

• 3. Re: Count 2 Fields Combined
              bookman

Hi Stephen,

Did you see my attachment?

Your answer suggests I'm not even close.

I thought this would be a lot less complicated.

I've read from FMP Missing manual, and FMP Help with no luck.

I'm now going to try the FileMaker forum.

• 4. Re: Count 2 Fields Combined
                bookman

Hi Michael,

The PS. below was included in my last posting.

PS. My last posting was marked as a question with a 15-minute time limit. I hope this didn't cause a problem. This posting supersedes it.

• 5. Re: Count 2 Fields Combined
                  comment

bookman wrote:

My last posting was marked as a question with a 15-minute time limit.

I have no idea what that means. I don't see any limit in the other thread. I do see that there are now two separate threads with the same question.

• 6. Re: Count 2 Fields Combined
                    Stephen Huston

I saw your attachment, but could not figure out what you were trying to accomplish or return back from the calculation as a result -- still can't, thus my questions and suggestions.

I also have no idea what a time limit on a question here is about. People post here and others answer -- when they can. If that kind of free help isn't fast enough, there are consultants available for hire through the FMInc website, but none of them are going to answer your questions without asking a lot of their own.

• 7. Re: Count 2 Fields Combined
                      bookman

Hi Steve,

Patience is my middle name. When I posted my first question it said “Check here if this is a question.” Later I read, if this isn’t a question, you have 15 minutes to change it to a Discussion. At least, that’s how I read it. I never meant to imply I was dissatisfied with the speed of feedback. I’m very new to the forum process. I apologize for the confusion.

In response to Phil’s answer, I wrote...

Hi Phil,

Thank you for getting back to me.

Unfortunately, I'm still in FileMaker 10.
                      (He later wrote that his solution would work in 10)

Nevertheless, I think I'm out of my element. I've learned that the smallest mistake can prevent a solution from working, including simple formatting errors.

I've decided that the benefits of creating a more elegant solution aren't worth the learning curve. Since my non-elegant solution works and since the time it takes to do what I know how to do is not great, I'm going back to my manual methods.

Thank you for your time.”

I’m also confused about the difference between the FileMaker Forum and the FileMaker Developer Forum.

I’ve concluded I’m trying to do something that’s more complicated than doing what I had been doing to get my counts. As indicated in my attachment, I was looking for an auto-fill showing the number of records that meet the criteria in two fields. I can do it without a calculation, summary, or count, but I have to remember to continually update my value list selections whenever I change the record, or I simply have to create a new found set.

Please don’t give this anymore time. I’ve made a bigger deal out of this than it’s worth.

Mel the Bookman

PS. Phil also didn’t know what I was talking about when I mentioned the “15-minute time limit.” It showed up when I first created the post.

PSS. My wife is curious. How can the forum experts afford to do what they do for free? I said they love what they do and love being helpful. Any other benefits?

PSSS.

Your email reply address <fmi-1401179946-myh-2-1vyv@fmdev.filemaker.com> bounced.

• 8. Re: Count 2 Fields Combined
                        beverly

Some of us skim very quickly, answering only those we can quickly answer. Some of us also learn from answering.

-- sent from my iPhone4 --

Beverly Voth

--

• 9. Re: Count 2 Fields Combined
                          comment

bookman wrote:

In response to Phil’s answer

Huh? There is no Phil in this thread - are you now referring to a third one?

FYI, I have answered - as well as I could - your question in your first thread. It seems you are too busy posting your question to read the replies...

• 10. Re: Count 2 Fields Combined
                            ariley

Some of us learn from our own answers, because we do a quick test file or look at functions, etc.

agnes b. riley . filemaker and web development

www.zerobluetech.com

T 201-299-6223 (NJ) . 212-842-8830 (NY) . 917-660-7221 (C)

FileMaker Certified in 10 and 11

• 11. Re: Count 2 Fields Combined
                              bookman

Hi Michael,

Sorry for all the confusion. I'm very new at this.

The time limit warning appeared when I first posted. It offers a choice of posting a question or beginning a discussion. I chose Question. Then I read that if I didn't want it as a question I had 15 minutes to undo it. I missed the deadline, so I resubmitted it as a discussion.

I’m also a little confused about the difference between the FileMaker Forum and the FileMaker Developer Forum.

I also assumed that respondents read the answers and replies of other responses/answers/replies to the same original postings. At any rate, I'm learning.

In my reply to Steve Huston, I wrote...

"I’ve concluded I’m trying to do something that’s more complicated than doing what I had been doing to get my counts. As indicated in my attachment, I was looking for an auto-fill showing the number of records that meet the criteria in two fields. I can do it without a calculation, summary, or count, but I have to remember to continually update my value list selections whenever I change the record, or I simply have to create a new found set. Please don’t give this anymore time. I’ve made a bigger deal out of this than it’s worth."

The last thing I want to do is annoy anyone with my questions. I know I'm going to be seeking further help and I don't want you to remember me in a negative way. I truly appreciate what the forums have to offer.

I hope this puts my previous replies in perspective.

• 12. Re: Count 2 Fields Combined
                                ariley

Are you talking about FMForums.com vs. Technet? They are run by two very different entities. Technet is run by FMI. But there are a lot of FM forums out there. You can differentiate between them by the URL.

I thin we can close this thread if you got your answer to your question.

Next time open one thread, that's all.

agnes b. riley . filemaker and web development

www.zerobluetech.com

T 201-299-6223 (NJ) . 212-842-8830 (NY) . 917-660-7221 (C)

FileMaker Certified in 10 and 11

• 13. Re: Count 2 Fields Combined
                                  beverly

See this page <http://www.filemaker.com/support/forum_selection.html>

for links:

• the "support forum" (@filemaker - forums.filemaker.com)

... is different from :

• the "technet developers' forum" (@filemaker - fmdev.filemaker.com)

... is different from:

• fmforums (hosted by Ocean West - www.fmforums.com)

There are a lot of good links here <http://www.filemaker.com/support/user_groups.html>

And some FileMaker developers, plug-in developers and user groups, may also have specific forums and/or blogs, not listed on this page.

HTH,

Beverly

• 14. Re: Count 2 Fields Combined
                                    bookman

Thank you.

Yes, please close the thread.

1 2 Previous Next