11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2012 9:29 AM by pgsdesign

Intermittent but frequent "freezing" after calling script with new offscreen window

BillDoerrfeld

I've spent the last month recoding my app for FMPA12 and while at the final stages of work I'm discovering a deal-breaker problem I cannot solve. In short, several scripts which open a new offscreen window get "stuck". The script debugger shows the stop point at calling a new offscreen window (see first image). The problem is intermittent but frequent. After aborting the script from within the Script Debugger FMPA12 is left in an unstable and unusable state. Specifically, the Quit FileMaker Pro Advanced menu item is grayed out and no new scripts can be called. Accordingly, it is not possible to safely quit the app. I have to force quit every time this happens.

I've tried many things to isolate and solve the problem including the following:

- replaced scripts

- reinstalled FMPA12

- fixed disk permissions (a few times)

- ran Onyx to clean system (remove caches, etc)

- deleted FMPA12 plist prefs file (after crash made it impossible to launch FMPA12 at all without instantly crashing)

- remove any 3rd party plugins

- isolate keystroke triggers vs button triggers

I've also tried to build a separate test case outside of my project. I believe it revealed the issue on one occasion when my existing large app was ALSO open. But I haven't yet been able to build a test case db separate from my project which consistenly reveals the problem.

I'm running out of ideas on what to try next. My only guess at this point is that there's something going on with the new window features in FMP12 which is sensitive to certain situations (such as with opening new offscreen windows). If said "sensitivity" is somehow related to memory utilization, one thing about my app is there is a lot (over 100) custom functions. I don't know if that would introduce any kind of memory overhead which might affect things.

I'm also noticing intermittent performance issues where screen redraws and navigating portals and even list views and other components are just not as snappy as they are at other times (with similarly sized found sets in the same database). Exploring that topic of course is an entirely separate matter.

Has anyone experienced anomalies with scripted new offscreen windows in FMPA12?

The only things I can think to check at this point are:

- see if any of the advanced window styles (which I use) are having any effect

- change the offscreen offset from WindowLeft = -1000 to a lesser value

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Bill

new window problem on New Task.jpg

cannot quit FMPA12.jpg

• 1. Re: Intermittent but frequent "freezing" after calling script with new offscreen window
          ch0c0halic

Bill may be looking out the wrong window,

Windows now come in many 'styles'. Check that the new window is using "Document Window" and that the controls are all enabled.

</image

• 2. Re: Intermittent but frequent "freezing" after calling script with new offscreen window
            BillDoerrfeld

?? Re-read my post. The window styles have nothing to do with this. Yes, the window is set as a document window. No, not all controls are enabled because I don't want all controls enabled on the new document window.

• 4. Re: Intermittent but frequent "freezing" after calling script with new offscreen window
              ch0c0halic

Bill may be starting to question things,

I reviewed the other thread and re-read all the messages.

I'm not saying there isn't a prpoblem but I've never seen it and haven't been able to reproduce it.

I'm also using OSX 10.7.4. Computer is a Macbook Pro, 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM.

Have you been able to produce a sample file from scratch that reproduces the problem? Can you remove private stuff from the file that shows the problem to produce a sample file?

Have you seen the problem if the window is created manually, or is it only when created from a script?

Have you removed all Script Triggers from the layouts, both initial and new. Since the new window is created in a script, to avoid all script triggers, I suggest trying - go to a new blank layout before creating the new off-screen layout.

Could it be associated with the layouts being in Manage Layouts folders?

- Are the initial layouts in folders in the Folder menu?

- Are the new windows switched to a different layout, and is that layout in a folder?

- Is it happening on only specific initial/ending layouts?

Are the script used to create the new window in folders in Manage Scripts?

Could it be associated with the number of layouts or the layout order?

- How many layouts are there?

- Where is the initial layout in the layout order?

Are there any custom menus? Is one in use before/after creating the new window?

In the OS:

Are there any menu shortcuts assigned? System Preferences - Keyboard - Keyboard Shortcuts tab.

Are any third party keyboard macro apps installed?

From the description FMP isn't 'completely' locked up or frozen. Some menu items still work, such as Save a copy as.

Which ones don't work (only the ones that should be enabled).

Are they always the same ones?

Which ones besides the close window are not working?

Sorry for so many questions but I can't reproduce it so I can't test any of my theories. I'm stuck relying on your patience and willingness to help to do the testing. §^=)

• 5. Re: Intermittent but frequent "freezing" after calling script with new offscreen window
                BillDoerrfeld

The short answer is I'm hopeful that the v2 update has addressed this issue. Since installing it a couple of hours ago I haven't seen the problem. Usually it would have "frozen" by now. While the release notes do not specifically refer to the update having addressed a "New Window" script issue, it does refer to an issue of scripts executing in the wrong window. At this point I suspect that's what it all boils down to.

• 6. Re: Intermittent but frequent "freezing" after calling script with new offscreen window
                  BillDoerrfeld

Unfortunately the problem was just experienced again now in v2. This is a deal-breaker for me.

• 7. Re: Intermittent but frequent "freezing" after calling script with new offscreen window
                    BillDoerrfeld

The more important thing to consider is not to go on a VERY timely wild goose chase (I've already spent countless hours on such a chase), but to explore the idea of what conditions in the environment would cause INTERMITTENT failure. It doesn't always fail, just sometimes. So conditions regarding static elements such as menus, layouts, etc really should have no bearing. There's something else going on behind the scenes which is affecting FMPA12's ability to consistently generate a scripted new window. The only variables I can thing of at this point are memory or processor routines as that is always changing depending upon the number of windows open and records/fields in the found set, portals and objects etc.

• 8. Re: Intermittent but frequent "freezing" after calling script with new offscreen window
                      hschlossberg

Is this the issue where hitting 1 or 2 on the keyboard will allow it to go on its way?

Another thing to look at: are you running any plugins with this solution?  I've been getting into situations where a plugin dialog will hide behind everything and will lock it all up until I figure out a way to capture it and click ok.

• 9. Re: Intermittent but frequent "freezing" after calling script with new offscreen window
                        BillDoerrfeld

As stated in my post I've tried isolating by removing all plugins.

Is the press 1 or 2 key being testing and discussed by a lot of developers? Is it reliable and suggested by FMP as an intermin "solution"?

At

http://filemaker.463488.n4.nabble.com/FMP-12-Modal-like-Error-td4616529.html I've read about purportedly pressing the 2 key to "get out" of the stuck position. I just had it happen again and tried pressing the 1 key (per your suggestion). That allowed the script to continue executing the command which in this case was to open the specified portal record in a new window. However, it oddly closed the calling window AND afterwards STILL left FMP hung (meaning the quit menu item was disabled and no other scripts could execute subsequently). So, that didn't work.

I haven't yet tried pressing 2 when this occurs. That's next up. Although, this all really is getting to be quite silly and a huge time sink and making me once again question why I've just spent hundreds of hours with FMPA coding a project.

What's more, I JUST witnessed another related anomaly where the same hung affect occurs (i.e. cannot quit and cannot execute subsequent scripts or even commit the current record) simply by clicking on a date field which has a drop-down calendar applied. Here's the breakdown:

- Clicked into field

- expected drop down calendar to appear

- actual behavior showed that field had the current focus however the record could not be committed by pressing Enter or clicking out of the field; the Quite FMPA menu was greyed out and no scripts or other actions could be executed

- only option was to force quit

- environment at the time had 5 FMP windows open

- Using FMPA 12.0v2

- Mac OS X 10.6.8

This latest instance of the problem suggest the issue is far more than a script New Window command. It suggests some underlying problem with ANY kind of new window/widget appearing. Since the end result is a hung app, the problem is a deal-breaker. Surely this is getting some high level attention?

• 10. Re: Intermittent but frequent "freezing" after calling script with new offscreen window
                          BillDoerrfeld

Just had it happen again (calling a new window script) and pressing 2 has the same affect I describe as pressing 1. It doesn't solve the problem.

• 11. Re: Intermittent but frequent "freezing" after calling script with new offscreen window
                            pgsdesign

I have the same problem with a database I've converted from 11 to 12, but it's not with offscreen windows. It happens about once or twice a day on average, but sometimes much more. The program is still running and if you open the debugger it's stuck on a new window or go to related records step. If you halt the script, the program is greyed out in lots of places. You can't quit FileMaker Pro and you end up with a force quit to get out of it. I'm at the latest version v2.

Rebuilding the solution from scratch is just not a viable option.