7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2012 7:05 AM by SecretWeaponLabs

Value lists across files in FMP12

psijmons

Strange but reproducible behaviour in FMP12 (v01 and v02) which always worked well in FMP11.

Setup is as follows:

Data file

UI-1 file

UI-2 file

A value list is build in an indexed text field with auto-entry calculation (i.e. not a calculation field) via UI-1 in the Data file.

When I call the value list in UI-2, it will not come up, except when I call it first in UI-1 layout.

The same solution in FMP11 never showed this behaviour. I noticed some bugfixes in FMP12v2 today related to ValueList behaviour, but this one does not fit in one of FMI's descriptions.

• 1. Re: Value lists across files in FMP12
          Stephen Huston

Are both UI files referencing the VL in the Data file, or is UI-2 referencing UI-1? It sounds like UI-2 is dependant on the UI-1 list.

Or, is UI-2 referencing the Data file via a relationship thru UI-1 anywhere?

I would double-check the TOs in the graph vs the TO name being used as the source of the VL to be sure there are as few as possible depencies/steps in the graph between UI-2 and Data for the VL source TO.

• 2. Re: Value lists across files in FMP12
            psijmons

My apologies Stephen, I should have given more information:

- both UI files refer to the same VL in the Data file,

- the VL in the data file is based on a primary key and a secondary text field (where the text is a stored calculation), includes all values, sorted

- the TO's in the UI files both have a direct link to the table that generates the VL (primary key to secondary key, one-to-one)

- the ERD in FMP11 and FMP12 are basicly the same (only weeding out some old code)

I have been testing this at length in our main solution that is being prepared for FMP12 and tried several work-arounds that would not delay the opening sequence too much:

- removed and re-applied indexing

- build an almost empty layout to generate the VL in the opening script

- looped through the original records to re-calculate the data for the VL

- tried the option to commit on record load (re: https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/85730#85730)

None worked, the only option so far is to go to UI-1, select a field to generate / view the dropdownlist, then go to UI-2...

not something I can explain to my users.

The issue is very reproducible (UI-3 and UI-4 show same behaviour) which worked fine in FMP11, so I'm wondering if this is a genuine FMP12 bug.

• 3. Re: Value lists across files in FMP12
              SecretWeaponLabs

Add me as another user experiencing the EXACT same thing with a separation model solution and related valuelists.

To make matters more maddening, in my preliminary tests with a new from scratch file with a 3-4 fields, this DOES work.  So I think this may actually be related to conversion which is more maddening.

• 4. Re: Value lists across files in FMP12
                psijmons

I got it fixed with the following work-around:

• remove the dropdown feature of the field and set it as an Edit field

• switch from Layout to browse to layout mode

• change the field to popup menu

• switch layout modes again

• change the field back to dropdown and go back to Browse mode

This apparently forced some re-indexing because the dropdown is working again when I close and re-open these files, also in UI-3 and UI-4 files.

If you do not switch back to Browse mode, it will not work.

• 5. Re: Value lists across files in FMP12
                  keywords

It would be worth checking the context from which any calcs or autoenter calcs are being evaluated.  If there was a switch there during file conversion this would create a dependency you could easily overlook.

• 6. Re: Value lists across files in FMP12
                    psijmons

No, the autoenter calcs were only dependent on text fields within the same table and were stored, but the reference to that field was made new in the UI-2 file ERD.

• 7. Re: Value lists across files in FMP12
                      SecretWeaponLabs

As an update for other fellow confounded developers, I think I may have fixed my particular situation by changing the context of the valuelist i.e. changing the option for Include only related values from the <<TABLE OCCURRENCE PULLDOWN MENU>>.  I understand what's changing there and was able to change it without issue, I don't understand why it worked in v7-v11 but not in v12.