7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2012 12:50 AM by CICT

Converting from 11 to 12 w Custom Colors?

LSNOVER

Hi Folks:

OK, now that the V2 patch is out, I'm trying to convert some applications to version 12.

I have custom colors. In the initial conversion, the Custom Colors come over just fine, but if I switch to the "Classic Theme", it changes all my colors.

So, question is, can I convert to the Classic Theme without loosing my colors?

Is there significant problems with NOT applying the Theme on a converted layout? I guess another way to phrase this is; Is the Classic Theme fully "applied" to a converted layout and it's objects, or is it in some "middle ground", not fully converted to FM12 until a theme is applied?

Thanks,

Lee Snover

• 1. Re: Converting from 11 to 12 w Custom Colors?
          Lemmtech

My experience is that there is a "middle ground" so to speak that once you convert your solution the layouts will look the same as in 11 and even retain features that no longer exist (like engraved field borders) but as soon as you apply any theme even the classic once which your converted layouts will say they are already using then all your 11 layout features will be changed to that theme and there is no way to get them back.

For this reason you have to be very careful about applying themes since there is no offical way to alter them and you have no wa to control what they are doing. It's a real shame they decided to take this approach since I don't see converting any of my solutions to 12 until this behavior is changed which I think is probably unlikely.

• 2. Re: Converting from 11 to 12 w Custom Colors?
            thosliot

Lee

If you undo immediately after the theme change, custom styles should revert to those from before the change (without undoing the theme change).

BTW, this is documented at 'Help > Designing and creating databases > Creating and managing layouts and reports > Editing layouts > Changing the theme of a layout'

cheers

Tom

• 3. Re: Converting from 11 to 12 w Custom Colors?
              LSNOVER

Thanks Tom:

Seems to work.  

• 4. Re: Converting from 11 to 12 w Custom Colors?
                Lemmtech

Yes Tom is right of course you can undo your last change but once it's saved that's it. This is why it's best to try the new layout features on copies of your layouts to see how they react first. The other issue to be aware of is that applying mutiple themes to a layout may result in that layout having the residual effects of many themes and while you may like the result there is no reliable way to reproduce it. This is another reason why it's best to apply multiple themes cauiously and on a copy of your production layout. Good luck!

• 5. Re: Converting from 11 to 12 w Custom Colors?
                  thosliot

I definitely agree that it' safest to mess with theme changes on copy layouts, but …

I was under the impression that a layout cannot retain 'residual' theme effects, because each attribute of each object is either the theme's default or it is customised and on changing theme, everything gets converted to the new theme with only customised attributes being revert-able (via undo) - what am I missing?

Tom

On 13 Jul 2012, at 17:23, Lemmtech wrote

The other issue to be aware of is that applying mutiple themes to a layout may result in that layout having the residual effects of many themes and while you may like the result there is no reliable way to reproduce it.

• 6. Re: Converting from 11 to 12 w Custom Colors?
                    Lemmtech

Well old atttributes like enngraved and embossed field border styles are retained and can be seen in the inspector there is just no way to re-apply them but if you duplicate that field they will stay intact and therefore could be continued to be used. There is this odd mix of old formatting being retained but not editable and new features not taking complete hold until a theme is manually applied or other manual changes are made to the GUI.

In terms of layout themes during an offical FMI presentation I was told that re-applying different themes to the same layout could leave residual effects from prior themes and you have no way to control this or know what they might be. I'm not saying it will happen just that it could so I wanted to mention it.

For my money and sanity I am sticking with 11 for now. I have one new client that insisted on 12 so converted an 11 solution and worked on it in 12 which I found very frustrating compared to 11. Everyone has different opinions of course but for me the benefits of 12 don't outweigh the drawbacks at this point even with the new updater.

• 7. Re: Converting from 11 to 12 w Custom Colors?
                      CICT

Lee, we've documented our experiences of FM12 layouts elsewhere, but wanted to mention that we use Macs for our layout work, primarily as we don't have to load up our custom colours into the palette each time we launch an application as we do in Windows (Macs better for some things, Windows for others - such as laying out complex calculations - just to add balance to this).

As we don't want our databases to look like everyone else's, we use custom colours extensively and have had to create new palette's for FM12 as sharing the same Mac palette across FM11 and FM12 produced different results, which were clear to see when working on converted files.

Things did work fine again once we had created our new palettes in FM12, but we have found we must use our original palettes in FM11 and the new ones in FM12 for colour continuity.

Andy