1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2012 12:55 AM by d5f

Save to PDF scipt Crash

stonemx

I'm trying to set a script to keep records on invoice report using a save to PDF instruction, when trigger the script the FM12 Pro advanced crashes.

Any help?

Bst Rgs

• 1. Re: Save to PDF scipt Crash
          psijmons

Can you post a screenshot of your script?

• 2. Re: Save to PDF scipt Crash
            stonemx

psijmons:

Thank you for your prompt response, but never mind, I just resolve this issue uninstalling and reinstalling again FMPA 12

Bst Rgs

• 3. Re: Save to PDF scipt Crash
              fmp

I can't seem to start a new discussion, so if I may ask a PDF-related question here:

Is there any way to output a one-page PDF of a user-specified, highly variable, size? For example, I might want to output one record or layout at 640x480px, the next one at 444x322px, etc. This is for Mac, FMP11 or FMP12. Any insights welcome. Plug-ins ok.

• 4. Re: Save to PDF scipt Crash
                jrenfrew

ScriptMaster with iText

Define the problem specifically and I should be able to point to an answer

First thing. PDF pages are measured in points (at 72dpi)

• 5. Re: Save to PDF scipt Crash
                  fmp

Thanks for helping. I'm trying to output what can be thought of as puzzle pieces, as files. They can be of many different sizes (potentially, a couple hundred), depending. I would like PDF so that the text is always crisp, but which are created at the size they will be used at so that no cropping or scaling is required. Does that make sense?

• 6. Re: Save to PDF scipt Crash
                    fmp

I looked up iText. Since Scriptmaster is written in Java, you're suggesting iText could be incorporated into it somehow?

• 7. Re: Save to PDF scipt Crash
                      jrenfrew

It is a java library so when it is loaded you can access its functions through ScriptMaster....

Am at Devcon at the moment so quite occupied but can certainly point in the right direction after that

Want quite sure what you meant about PDF sizing and clarity. Apart form imported images PDF is a vector format so text is 'crisp' at whatever size you display it, but then the size you display is determined by the zoom on your viewer application. Are you talking about putting the PDf files into Filemaker to store/view or just creating from FM and then viewing outside with Acrobat Reader or similar.

• 8. Re: Save to PDF scipt Crash
                        fmp

Thanks. I'm not looking necessarily to store the PDFs in FM. My main goal is to output the files at any page size dimensions that I can specify. Ha, wish I was at the DevCon!

• 9. Re: Save to PDF scipt Crash
                          Stephen Huston

I don't know if any plugins will support on-the-fly page size setups, but FM-layout-based PDFs are dependant on the Page/Print Setup. It can be managed by scripting, but is limited by the installed and available printer drivers' supported page sizes.

[ Stray thought: Has anyone saved a container file content in PDF file format based solely on the graphic content of the field, using export field content or any of the new container calculation functions?]

• 10. Re: Save to PDF scipt Crash
                            fmp

> FM-layout-based PDFs are dependant on the Page/Print Setup... limited by the installed and available printer drivers

Ya, I think that's the main problem here. Seems like PDF can be written as text, so maybe I could try to figure out a raw PDF text template (if such a thing exists), make some substitutions in FM, and output a text file with a .pdf extension?

• 11. Re: Save to PDF scipt Crash
                              Stephen Huston

The encoded file of a PDF might be viewable, or even writeable, as text, but the text encoding I saw for postscript some years back was huge and not human-intelligible, running into many dozens of pages of code just for the basic file sctructure. Things may have changed with later Postcript versions, as I abandoned pusuing that idea way back then. I suspect that the postcript code in a PDF is still essentially impossible to compile via a calculated text result. BUT...

If you find anything promising, let us know. I suspect it would be quite useful to many of us.

• 12. Re: Save to PDF scipt Crash
                                fmp

OK, thanks, that's good info. Sounds too daunting for me, probably have to just go with Applescript.

• 13. Re: Save to PDF scipt Crash
                                  jrenfrew

The OP was about making PDF files of indeterminate sizes, based on some content need.

This is a piece of cake in ScriptMaster and can be any size

>>

Theoretically, you could create pages of any size, but the PDF

specification imposes limits depending on the PDF version of the

document that contains those pages. For PDF 1.3 or earlier, the minimum

page size is 72 x 72 units (1 x 1 in); the maximum is 3,240 x 3,240

units (45 x 45 in). Later versions have a minimum size of 3 x 3 units

(approximately 0.04 x 0.04 in) and a maximum of 14,400 x 14,400 units

(200 x 200 in).

So next question is what is the content you are trying to put in the PDF?? Where is it coming from?

• 14. Re: Save to PDF scipt Crash
                                    d5f

We have installed FMP12v3 on different windows machines and many have crashes on -Save as PDF- script. The PDF files are around 150-900kB.

In the FMP11 the files are ~50% smaller and the Save as PDF script runns much faster.

Does anybody have a solution for the crashes?

1 2 Previous Next