2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2012 5:58 AM by fatchemist

How do I define or redefine a relationship so it will work again?

fatchemist

Folllowing is a layout segment used in my lab for formulation purposes:

The RM name is typed in and the RM code is populated from the raw material file:

I went to "Manage Database" for the lab book and highlighted "RM COde". and hit options.

I clicked on the specify button and went to the following screen:

I even went back and checked the relationship table:

To make a long story shorter, when I type in the Raw Material Name, it doesn't pull up the RM COde and leaves the field

blank. Any ideas regarding what I'm doing wrong. This is in Filemaker Pro 11 brought up from FMP.3. I will eventually

move everything to Filemaker 12 but have to demonstrate that I can make the move to version 11 work first. I am the

only individual in my company with any working knowledge of FilemalerPro and up to this point it has only been a

sideline job responsibility although it looks like it is going to get more in depth in the near future.

Thanks for all of your help,

larry Zolcienski

lzolcienski@teamivc.com

• 1. Re: How do I define or redefine a relationship so it will work again?
          fitch

Looking at the pics from your other post: In your relationship graph, you're matching NAME with CODE. You need to match NAME with NAME. When the names match, it's the CODE that will be looked up. Make sense?

That said, this seems completely backward to me. Typically you use codes (aka key fields) to look up names, since names sometimes change but a code or key would not.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I define or redefine a relationship so it will work again?
            fatchemist

Thank you Fitch.  In retrospect it makes a heck of a lot more sense than what I was doing.  The  reason it is bas-akwards is that we formulate using the actual raw material names when we put the formula together. The formula is then entered into a main-framed dinosaur at corporate headquarters which only accepts what we refer to as the internal IBM codes. So in order to give the production folks a formula that they can enter to cut batch tickets on the dinosaur without the formulators having to look up the extra codes, we have the codes pulled up when the raw material name is typed in. Makes no sense to me either but then I don’t own the company or the dinosaur. As well, I was not the developer of the initial solution and when he left it fell to me to maintain and expand the installation. I am in the process of learning the system and I appreciate all of the patience that has been shown to me by members of the community and just hope that it continues until such time as I can become a contributor as well.

Thanks again,

Larry Zolcienski