7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2012 6:47 PM by fmp

Passing user entered variables to Applescript

strngr12

Hello,

I need users to be able to pass their username and password through Applescript to terminal. In a nutshell, I need to do this:

Set Variable [$userName; Value: asks for user input]

Set Variable [$userPassword; Value: asks for user input]

Later in script...

Perform AppleScript ["do shell script" & "echo " & Quote ( $userPassword) & "|" command -u" & Quote ( $userName ) & "--argument --noconsole"]

My question is, how do I get a popup window to ask the user to enter the commands and is it possible to get a pop up window to gather both variables at once?

Thanks!

-Dan

• 1. Re: Passing user entered variables to Applescript
          snsanders

This will do what you want:

24U Appearance OSAX 4.0

http://www.24usoftware.com/AppearanceOSAX

It is very similar to their display plugin for FMP.

Steven

• 2. Re: Passing user entered variables to Applescript
            strngr12

Thanks for the reply, but this doc will be distributed widely and even mixed down to runtime apps so I don't want to ask anyone using to install any additional software.

• 3. Re: Passing user entered variables to Applescript
              comment

strngr12 wrote:

My question is, how do I get a popup window to ask the user to enter the commands and is it possible to get a pop up window to gather both variables at once?

There is no way for users to enter values directly into variables; use global fields intead.

The Show Custom Dialog [] script step allows you to present up to three input field to the user. You also get the choice to format a displayed field for password entry (i.e. showing ******* during entry).

Don't forget to clear the globals before and/or after each use.

• 4. Re: Passing user entered variables to Applescript
                strngr12

Thanks Michael.  I'll try that.

• 5. Re: Passing user entered variables to Applescript
                  strngr12

Hello Michael,

Can you tell lme how to clear the fields?  I've tried "clear," "Replace Field Contents," and a couple other things but when I'm in debugger and step past those options the last value entered still remains in data viewer even when I refresh values.

Also, to be clear, I have a lot of globals so I don't want them all to go.  I need the others to remain.

Thanks for your help.

• 6. Re: Passing user entered variables to Applescript
                    comment

Try:

Set Field [ SomeTable::gGlobalField ; "" ]

• 7. Re: Passing user entered variables to Applescript
                      fmp

Hi, there are two usual ways to get variables into a shell command starting in Filemaker: 1) Use an FM script to call an Applescript and use "Display Dialog" to ask for the info; or 2) use an FM script to call an FM custom dialog which sets fields in FM (usually global fields), after which they are available to an Applescript. To date, I don't believe you can transfer an FM $ variable directly to Applescript.

In general, it's easier to use method 2) above. After you set the fields with the info, a subsequent  Perform Applescript step should get the values by telling any layout which actually has those fields on it with the desired info in them (they can be in a tab which is not currently visible, though) like so:

-- tell application "Filemaker Pro Advanced" -- "tell app" line not needed when invoked inside FM

tell window 1

tell layout "Prefs"

-- set shell command variables

set theUser to (get data cell "gUsername" of current record) as text

set thePW to (get data cell "gPassword" of current record) as text

--clear fields on Prefs layout if needed

set data cell "gUsername" of current record to ""

set data cell "gPassword" of current record to ""

end tell

end tell

-- end tell

-- use variables above in do shell script

*Note: code not proofed