2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2012 3:34 PM by jjfcpa

Newbie needs recommendation

jjfcpa

I'm working on a solution that will include the following tables.

Clients - Returns - Documents

My Clients layout will be a list view with a list of all the clients in the file. I will also need the following options.

A way to add new clients, a way to edit existing clients, and a way to add or edit returns for the client.

Another developer suggested the list view for the clients with a portal to show the related returns. My question is how do I include the portal in the list view. I know how to create the portal, just unsure how to law it out in the layout for the clients.

Suggestions welcomed.

• 1. Re: Newbie needs recommendation
          comment

Technically, the only difference between form view and list view is that in list view, records are shown one beneath the other - so you can scroll down/up to the next/previous record. Thus, if you make your body part  tall enough, you can place a portal there - regardless of the layout being viewed in list mode.

Conceptually, I think users are more accustomed to drilling down the hierarchy, e.g.:

1. List of Clients:

Select a client / Add a new client

2. Selected Client in Form View:

Edit a client / Select a return (from a portal) or add a new one

3. Selected Return in Form View:

Edit a return / Select a document (from a portal) or add a new one

• 2. Re: Newbie needs recommendation
            jjfcpa

Michael

That's exactly the way I initially envisioned it working but I didn't know if there was a better way.  I'll give it a shot using that approach and let you know how it goes.

John