5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2012 4:47 AM by Malcolm

Applescript Filemaker Resources?

Malcolm

I've just realised that my Filemaker / AppleScript skills have rusted solid. I have some AppleScript resources. Would someone point me to Filemaker specific examples?

thanks

Malcolm

• 1. Re: Applescript Filemaker Resources?
          gdurniak

Applescript is a pain. Even if you find a reference, it's still often trial and error

I usually just Google "filemaker applescript", with whatever command I'm interested in

Stackoverflow offers some good advice

greg

• 2. Re: Applescript Filemaker Resources?
            fmsimplicity

What are you trying to accomplish?

• 3. Re: Applescript Filemaker Resources?
              Malcolm

What are you trying to accomplish?

A general toolkit for asking questions about the database similar to the Design Functions. How many tables, what are their names, how many fields, what are their names & IDs, etc.

I simply wanted to grab field info from tables. I have two tables. One is a  duplicate of the other. The original has had many changes and I want to synch them to the duplicate.

When I posted I couldn't get past this:

tell app "filemaker" to get name of every table of database 1 --> object not found

I finally discovered this method:

tell app "filemaker" to set tbl_ids to get id of every table of database 1 --> {1,2,3.....}

set tbl_names to {}

repeat with i from 1 to count

tell app "filemaker" to set end of tbl_names to get name of table id (item i of tbl_ids) of database 1

end

Malcolm

• 4. Re: Applescript Filemaker Resources?
                sporobolus

on 2012-07-25 18:58 Malcolm wrote

When I posted I couldn't get past this:

tell app "filemaker" to get name of every table of database 1 --> object not found

tell application "FileMaker Pro Advanced" to get name of tables of database 1

or, to make more clear the order of operations:

tell application "FileMaker Pro Advanced"
                   tell database 1
                     name of every table -- or, name of tables
                   end tell
                end tell

this is more about AppleScript than about FileMaker; beware the temptation to

expect an AppleScript statement that compiles and sounds reasonable in English

sentence to just work; the way AppleScript executes your example, "every table"

returns a list of table objects, then you asked for the name of that list …

if you can justify the cost, Script Debugger makes it very comfortable to

explore the object model of an app like FileMaker

• 5. Re: Applescript Filemaker Resources?
                  Malcolm

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the neat code. My post shouldn't have been so sloppy, I didn't cut and paste and I didn't signal that I was typing pseudo-code.

I found the work-around with IDs but I guess that by that stage I'd corrected whatever syntax error there was when I was asking for names.

I'm working with Smile, which meets my needs nicely. I worked with Script Debugger a few years back when I was doing a lot of AppleScripting and would pay the price immediately if I had to do more than a few quick one liners.

Malcolm