jbrown

DevCon 2012 Benefits-oh let me count the ways

Discussion created by jbrown Expert on Jul 26, 2012
Latest reply on Jul 28, 2012 by DavidJondreau

A week after DevCon, my first, and I'm finally realizing how much it was worth. There was so much information there, all the sessions were amazing. But its finally hit me how much I learned. Let me list them (and no judgement please, on me JUST learning this stuff).

GetValue function - never used that before. Amazing. SO much fun to create a looping script that pulls values based on a varible.

The List function with the GetValue

ExecuteSQL (how did I live without this)

Variables galore (Ive used variables, but not to the extent that I now use them)

Charting (finally understand that damn process!)

FM Go inspiration. I can't wait to convince the principals at my schools (who still use excel at their computers) there's so much we can do.

Container fields

ExecuteSQL (again). It really clicked for me today, after about 15 minutes of trying to understand it. I learned you can't place variables in the direct statement, but those come in during the arguments.

Freeing up my code from dependencies. (what an amazing idea).

Design tips .

While in FL sipping $17 glasses of wine, I sat in on some of the more advanced classes. Every hour, I walked out of a class feeling like there's SO MUCH to Filemaker that I don't know. But hearing the experts and know-it-alls I am finally piecing together all the little fragments and ideas into better ways to do what I need to do.

Thanks Bob (the teacher of a class I felt was in a different language for me at first) for your high-level material and post-devcon email conversations.
Thanks David for being my roommate and giving me some quick tips that have helped me tremendously.

And Thank you Cris for inspiring me to take the exam, to study for it and to go for it.

Where do i sign up for the next one?

Outcomes