6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2014 7:09 AM by alquimby

Removing white space on print

ChrisG

Dear FMP guru's

I have been searching the archives and the net to try and find a solution to pages not breaking properly when printing. There is too much white space at the bottom of the page because FM refuses to break the body part across page boundaries. Here are the details:

FMA 12.0v2

Parts in the layout:

Title header

Header

Leading subsummary sorted by a number field called sequence

Body

Trailing summary

Footer

Title header, header, trailing summary and footer all print as they should.

All objects in all parts have "sliding up" and "reduce size of enclosing part" turned on.

The Leading subsummary part has two objects in it, a text field and a graphic object ( a grey rectangle the width of the page ).

The body part has two objects in it also. A text field for the heading and a merge field for the story. The body part and the merge field are large enough to contain a lot of text.

Each part has "allow break across page boundaries checked"

The body part does not break across page boundaries.

If I delete the Leading subsummary part, then the body does break across page boundaries.

If I bring the Leading subsummary part back, then once again the body does not break across page boundaries.

Page setup is set to A4, there is a generous fixed page margin of 36 pt.

Is it even possible to get a good page break when using leading subsummary parts?

thank you

Chris G

• 1. Re: Removing white space on print
          ChrisG

Something I have learned about printing with subsummary parts.

Text within a subsummary will break across page boundaries but different subsummaries will not break across page boundaries.

Just to explain what I mean about different subsummaries..

It is still the same subsummary part it is now summarising on a different value. If it is summarising on a number field, all records that have the number 1 will be in the same group, or all records that have the number 2 will be in the same group etc.

If within a group some text is required to break accross the page boundary it will. If however group 1 ends halfway down the page and group 2 requires a whole page, group 2 will start on the next page. Not below group 1 on the first page. This leaves a big gap on the bottom of page 1.

Why do subsummaries behave like this?

• 2. Re: Removing white space on print
            rkesk8

I'm having the same trouble & wish they would fix this.  The workaround is going to be a pain .. either to create and delete additional line items on the fly for printing that look like  subsummaries or have my users break their larger paragraphs into smaller individual line items.    Did you ever find any better solutions?

• 3. Re: Removing white space on print
              alquimby

Chris,

Can you attach the file, or at least save a clone and put in some sample data?

Al Quimby

• 4. Re: Removing white space on print
                Mike_Mitchell

Chris -

I don't know if it applies in your particular situation, but one rule of thumb I've discovered over the years is this:

If FileMaker cannot put one entire occurrence of all page parts on a single page without sliding, then the first part that will not fit will move to the next page.

That being the case, it might be worth shrinking one or more of your parts and see if that helps.

Mike

• 5. Re: Removing white space on print
                  rkesk8

Here is a sample. Of course it is set to break across boundaries (and not set to break before or after occurrances)  http://www.minnetonkamusic.com/ContractSample.pdf

And here's an example of it correctly breaking across the body when I remove the sub-summaries: http://www.minnetonkamusic.com/ContractSample2.pdf

• 6. Re: Removing white space on print
                    alquimby

I was asking Chris to attach the actual FileMaker file (or a clone with sample records added), so we could look at the actual layout he refers to.

Al Quimby