1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2013 6:46 AM by HershHiltonHead

Activating PDF s in fmgo container

DavePres

I have a fairly simple solution that has PDF's in container fields in GO.

I notice you can scroll through a PDF within container in fm pro but to view multiple pages on GO it must open using the PDF engine.

I would like the user to just click on the PDF or a button and the PDF open so the user can scroll through it.

I don't want the Actions dialog to offer any other choices if I can avoid it.

Thanks in advance, David

• 1. Re: Activating PDF s in fmgo container
          Mike_Mitchell

David -

I suggest writing a script that saves the PDF to the temporary directory, then opens it. This will work on Go (I know because I recently did it).

HTH

Mike

• 2. Re: Activating PDF s in fmgo container
            rgordon

Send the PDF to the temporary directory, then open it with a web viewer.  This will allow you to scroll through the PDF on the FM Go layout.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Activating PDF s in fmgo container
              DavePres

Hi Mike

Thanks for your answer. I can't really understand.

I can make a variable with temp directory OK but can't see a script step to send the PDF residing in the container to it.

I did, however restrict access to file using a privelge set so that the only option is to view the file but if I can get your method working it may be cleaner.

Thanks

David

• 4. Re: Activating PDF s in fmgo container
                Mike_Mitchell

David -

In the Export Field Contents script step, there's an option to Open Automatically. Check that.

Mike

• 5. Re: Activating PDF s in fmgo container
                  DavePres

Mike

It is working a dream, thanks.

Two extra things I did that maybe should have been obvious were 1)disable entry options for the field and 2) When I made the variable for the temp path I forgot to append get(TemporaryPath) with &""&name.pdf

Thanks and regards

David

• 6. Re: Activating PDF s in fmgo container
                    DavePres

Hi RGordon

Thanks for your idea. It wouldn't open in web viewer on my win 7 computer unless I removed the / from the temp path.

BUT, as you said it works on the IPAD with no work. Cool!

Thanks

David

• 7. Re: Activating PDF s in fmgo container
                      ziceg

Hi Mike,

I tried to follow the instructions but still can't seem to get it to work on the FM Go 12, works a charm for FM Pro though...

Below are steps I followed when creating the Script so not sure where I went wrong:

- Set Variable

Specify:

Name: $Temp

Value: Get ( TemporaryPath ) & "temp.pdf"

Repetition: 1

- Export Field Contents

Specify target field: chose from Table the field name that is the container field; Repetition: 1

Specify output file: $Temp; and ticked the option that says Automatically open file

I also added on the button that performs this script the Script Parameter to keep the RecordID of the Table where that record is.

Like I said in FM Pro 12 it works. But in FM Go 12 it goes through the motions and instead of opening the pdf  it opens a page that says "Loading web page..." and a couple of buttons "Open in Safari" "Done"

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide me

• 8. Re: Activating PDF s in fmgo container
                        rgordon

My experience on the iPad has been the Automatically Open option doesn't work very well.  I leave this box unchecked and then use the open script step to open the file.  I like the web viewer option better because I don't have to leave FileMaker to view the PDF.

• 9. Re: Activating PDF s in fmgo container
                          Mike_Mitchell

I haven't seen any issues. I suggest checking a couple of things:

1) Does the script go to a layout where the container appears (i.e., is it in context)?

2) The behavior you're describing suggests perhaps the PDF is large - too large for the iPad to display? Perhaps try with a smaller PDF document and see what happens.

Mike

• 10. Re: Activating PDF s in fmgo container
                            ziceg

Hmm... I unticked the automatically open option, but am a bit confused what you mean with the open file step.

So do I leave my script as per above but inticking the open option and then include an extra step "Open File" which then asks to specify a source?

• 11. Re: Activating PDF s in fmgo container
                              ziceg

Thanks Mike

1) To start with yes I did have it trying to do the script on a layout were I could already view the container (although only cover page), I removed this step altogether but still no joy.

2) pdf I'm testing is only a 2 pager (233kb) so that shouldn't be the problem

Any other ideas?

• 12. Re: Activating PDF s in fmgo container
                                rgordon

I gave you some bad info on this.  The Automatic Open option is problematic when trying to open a fmp12 file, not a PDF.  One thing you might try is to change the path to the documentsPath insteads of the temporaryPath. It would interesting to see if the file is being created and if it will open.  If the file will open it would probably indicate that something is going on with your temp folder.  Try shutting down the ipad and restart it.  FMGO does have a bug related to creating PDFs that can only be solve by an iPAd restart.

• 13. Re: Activating PDF s in fmgo container
                                  ziceg

Is there anything in Security settings I should check maybe? I do have the user privilege set permission to allow Export, should there be anything else that might be causing this problem?

I restarted iPad, put the tick back on on automatic open, still no go

• 14. Re: Activating PDF s in fmgo container
                                    rgordon

Did try setting the path to the DocumentsPath?

1 2 Previous Next