2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2012 10:40 AM by problem@solver

Why not use iCloud location for Filemaker files?

problem@solver

With iWork is possible. Why not for FileMaker? Filemaker developer are not interested in this solution?

• 1. Re: Why not use iCloud location for Filemaker files?
          mark_scott

Hi Giuseppe,

Great question!  Turns out databases are much more complex than simple, unitary files such as text or spreadsheet documents.  At any one moment, certain portions of the data are held in RAM (cache).  Then in any sort of shared-access setting there are issues of concurrency (e.g., locking records to prevent colliding attempts to edit the same data, while making the data as available as possible to all users), etc.  FileMaker software handles these things in single-user mode on a local (non-cloud) system and, for shared databases, either in peer-to-peer fashion or (better for most shared setups) via FileMaker Server software.  Other configurations run an extremely serious risk of irreparable database corruption.

Hope this 30,000-foot explanation helps.

Mark

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Why not use iCloud location for Filemaker files?
            problem@solver

You are right.

But i have a file of Filemaker in my dropbox folder regularly home updated and accessible by web dropbox when i bill and print in my clients offices. Problems begin to arise with more contemporary users, i think, but controlling contemporary access might be a solution.