3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2012 5:59 AM by erolst

Using FileMaker Pro for thousands of images

PeterWindle

Hello all,

I am considering getting my photos out of iPhoto and into a filemaker pro database (12) - I have 4000-5000 photos I want to share between 2-3 computers. At the moment, iPhoto is sharing the images from within iphoto on a mac-mini server, but it is slow to display the image thumbnails.

Has anyone done anything similar using FileMaker Pro 12. I have FMPro server 12 and copies of FileMaker on each computer, but would this be any faster? I would be aiming to build something that will display as many thumbnails as possible on one layout... am I going to see better or worse performance that iPhoto.

The server is a mac-mini running 10.8, FMServer 12 and is a core2duo 2.66 Ghz. (4 GB RAM - I know, I should have more, yeah yeah!)

• 1. Re: Using FileMaker Pro for thousands of images
          taylorsharpe

Well, watch out for 10.8 and FMS12... I think FileMaker needs to still release a patch to work out some issues. 

Regarding lots of thumbnails... are you talking about multi-column in preview mode?  If you don't use preview mode, then you don't get multi-column and preview mode does not support all the functionality of browse mode like clicking on button or dragging and dropping a picture. 

Other than the column/thumbnail issue, I think it would work prety well as long as it is a container field stored in an external folder with that new option in FM12.  I've converted several such container fields and find that they are very snappy in version 12, particularly for pictures that are much bigger than the size displayed in a layout since FM downsizes them before delivering them to the user interface. 

I think you would be hard pressed develop a FileMaker User Interface as nice as the iPhoto one and iPhoto will have some features not available in FileMaker.  However, FileMaker will let you customize the user interface experience to the way you want it and I value that a lot.  You may want to look into some plugins like CNS Image that would let you do additional things with pictures in container fields.  And you might be interested in http://jensteich.de/filemaker/filemaker-plugins/exif-plugin/ which is an Exif plugin to grab Exif picture data such as Latitude/Longitude (if a geocoded camera), shutter speed, aperature, camera type, etc. 

• 2. Re: Using FileMaker Pro for thousands of images
            monkeybreadsoftware

I would leave the images in iPhoto and just add them to the Filemaker database as references.

This way you don't duplicate the files and keep the size of database small.

You could also reference the thumbnails from iPhoto, too. So you don't need to render your own.

If you still need to edit images or generate thumbnails, you can use our MBS Plugin.

Greetings

Christian

• 3. Re: Using FileMaker Pro for thousands of images
              erolst

taylorsharpe wrote:

Regarding lots of thumbnails... are you talking about multi-column in preview mode?  If you don't use preview mode, then you don't get multi-column and preview mode does not support all the functionality of browse mode like clicking on button or dragging and dropping a picture. 

To build your own photo browser, you could use a relationship and several portals. The nice thing about an internal solution that with just a few additional join tables for distribution, you can integrate your photos with virtually every other of your databases, complete with keyword assignment/filtering.

The downside is that setting up (and maintaining!) several virtually identical portals is a tiresome task. Here's hoping that one day FMI will not give us simply horizontal portals, but the “portal grid” (with options for x * y “cells”, display across/down), where you need to edit but one cell to make changes for the entire grid.