9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2012 9:34 AM by fatchemist

open as a package ?

fatchemist

We use a central PC for formulating. Each formulator has his/her own lab book. In the past they had

only to click on their desktop icon and it would open filemaker Pro and the accompanying database as well as the lab book.

Since converting from Filemaker 3 to Filemaker 11 They have to click on their icon to open Filemaker Pro 11 and their lab book

and then open the accompanying raw material file separately. If they forget, the fields are not populated with the correct codes

which results in batch tickets for production being cut with the wrong materials and subsequently having to be scrapped. Is there

a way to force the support data base to open with Filemaker 11 when the individual lab book is opened so that the formulators

do not have to open it separately? Or possibly force it to open with the lab book without a separate action?

Scratching my head

fatchemist

• 1. Re: open as a package ?
          beverly

In what format is the "raw material file"? for example, is it text (CSV), Excel or another database that all share?

In what format is the "lab book"?

Beverly

• 2. Re: open as a package ?
            fatchemist

Hi Beverley,

The lab book is in FileMaker Pro 11 and the Raw material file is FilemakerPro 11 as well and is used by all of the lab book holders

although not all at the same time.

• 3. Re: open as a package ?
              beverly

OK, You can create an "opener" file which specifies the other databases to open in it's first script. Place that on the desktop. If you need to use a login, then the opener having the same account and password as the other files will only ask once for the login.

and/or if the raw material is related in anyway, it should open automatically if any of it's fields are on the layout first needed.

Beverly

Hi Beverley,

The lab book is in FileMaker Pro 11 and the Raw material file is FilemakerPro 11 as well and is used by all of the lab book holders

although not all at the same time.

• 4. Re: open as a package ?
                fatchemist

at the risk of sounding like a total dweeb. Can you give me a generic example of an “opener file” and where I should create it.

OK there’s no risk, I am a dweeb, and need help.

fatchemist

• 5. Re: open as a package ?
                  beverly

1. create a new database in FileMaker. Call it "opener" (or something appropriate!)

2. Under the File menu select File Options.

file_options.jpg

click the OnFirstWindowOpen and select the script

3. Create a new script (click the "+" at the bottom of the dialog) and call it "open"

open_script.jpg

4. Add the script step "Open File" and specify the "Add FileMaker Data Source".

5. Navigate to whatever file you want opened (Lab book, for example)

6. Repeat 4 &5 for every database you want to open. Specify in the correct order if they depend upon each other.

this file will open the other databases for you.

If you need to get more detailed, please ask!

Beverly

• 6. Re: open as a package ?
                    fatchemist

Thank You Beverly,

I will give this a shot and let you know how it turns out.

Your patience is greatly appreciated,

fatchemist

• 7. Re: open as a package ?
                      fatchemist

Hi Beverly,

I have a minor problem. I am working with FilemakerPro 11 converting from FMP3. The “OnFirstWindowOpen”

& the script selection function are not available.  If I take the individual lab books and add a script to each that

calls for the opening of the raw material data source when any lab book is opened and closed when it is logged off;

would that function in essentially the same manner?  We are ultimately upgrading to FMP12, but the IT department

won’t allow the completion unless I can demonstrate that all current problems have been solved. Unfortunately

all of my IT guys are mainframers and have absolutely no knowledge of Filemaker so I do appreciate your patience

and advice.

fatchemist

• 8. Re: open as a package ?
                        beverly

File Options have changed in 12. Look at the File Options for FileMaker 11

under the Open/Close tab, you have the "Perform Script". check the box and specify the script.

Beverly

• 9. Re: open as a package ?
                          fatchemist

Thank You Beverly