1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2012 2:44 AM by LogicaConsulting

FileMaker and scriptable CAD

mabt

Hi

I am new to this forum but just wondered if anyone out there might have knowledge and experience of exporting data from FileMaker and then importing it into a [scriptable] CAD program, hopefully, with the result that it draws what you wanted it to!

I have been experimenting by using a series of calculations in FM to create some code that then can be used to generate CAD drawings but could probably do with some outside assistance.

Any ideas please?

• 1. Re: FileMaker and scriptable CAD
          Lemmtech

Don't know of a way to do this in FM but I know 4D along with a reporting plug in can. Contact me at markl@lemmtech.com if you want more details.

• 2. Re: FileMaker and scriptable CAD
            Malcolm

I was shown a file that created files for Rhino. All the settings were stored as individual records and interactions/versions were as simple as duplicating a record, adjusting a field or two then exporting the record. That may not seem as simple as tweaking a bezier curve with a mouse but the designs were for electrical motors and they required a higher level of testing "looks good". In fact, the filemaker UI was nicely built and was easy to operate.

malcolm

• 3. Re: FileMaker and scriptable CAD
              mabt

Hi Malcolm

Many thanks for your email - I  will take that idea into account!

Kind Regards

Martin Tye

• 4. Re: FileMaker and scriptable CAD
                fmp

I would SO love to be able to move FM objects, such as buttons and fields, around on a layout programmatically! Any ideas or tips welcome!

• 5. Re: FileMaker and scriptable CAD
                  Lemmtech

I think I misunderstood the original question with my inital response which was I know 4D can programitically draw shapes and as such can output CAD type drawing and other types of drawings, but scripting an external CAD program I don't know. FM of course has NO ability to effect objects in any way and can only go to an object by a predfined name. As we all know layouts on FM are pretty static unless calculations and field are used to create dynamic which creates a lot of overhead unfortunately.

• 6. Re: FileMaker and scriptable CAD
                    steve_ssh

Hello Fmp,

Would you care to indulge my curiosity, and give some examples of what sort of UI's you imagine building if you were able to programatically move the FM objects?

Very best,

-steve

• 7. Re: FileMaker and scriptable CAD
                      fmp

Hi steve_ssh: visual outliner, scheduler, theater of war battle planning (ha ha), architectural layout, mapping, puzzles, warehouse/shelf stocking for a few.

• 8. Re: FileMaker and scriptable CAD
                        steve_ssh

Thank you fmp.  I appreciate you getting back to me.

Best,

-steve

• 9. Re: FileMaker and scriptable CAD
                          mabt

Yes, thanks but I was thinking of drawing outside of the FM environment, due to the relative complexity of the drawings / the need for conformity to drawing conventions and formats etc. So, I think it is a case of exporting data from FM and then importing it to an other program. Many thanks for your thoughts on this.

• 10. Re: FileMaker and scriptable CAD
                            mabt

Assuming that you were looking just for a limited movement, within the FM environment, I wonder if something along the lines of

http://www.teamdf.com/weetbicks/tab-controls-overlay-menus-revealing-filemaker12/151/

could help? It's not exactly programmable movement but it might help?

• 11. Re: FileMaker and scriptable CAD
                              Malcolm

HyperCard was able to do that. I would love the ability to write a program to create new layouts with objects, buttons, fields, etc. Of course, we would create a filemaker database to store these design templates.

malcolm

• 12. Re: FileMaker and scriptable CAD
                                sporobolus

on 2012-08-08 18:13 Malcolm wrote

HyperCard was able to do that. I would love the ability to write a program to create new layouts with objects, buttons, fields, etc. Of course, we would create a filemaker database to store these design templates.

Visual FoxPro could do it too; the user interface of an application was stored

as records in a table, so one could execute a query to dynamically generate

some or all interface elements, default values, etc.; this made it possible to

deliver a lot of functionality as a data update rather than a code update

• 13. Re: FileMaker and scriptable CAD
                                  LogicaConsulting

Hi "mabt",

we are a consulting and software development company based in Italy and are quite experienced both in FileMaker and in CAD systems (about 20 years each...). We developed procedures to automate CAD software, PDM software and nesting software (for sheetmetal cutting design), so I think we might help you.

You should provide us with some more details about the exact goal of your project, since most of the effort depends on the right strategy chosen to get to the point.

In my personal experience most of these automation processes aim to deal with complex parametric layouts (2D) or models (3D), hard to manage with the standard tools available in CAD system software. If this is the case, let me understad the right needs and I can give you advice, otherwise explain from the beginning :-).

Tell me which CAD software you want to automate and what's the scripting language to use (some CAD system can be programmed through different languages, proprietary o std, like vbscript). Please, describe the problem a little more in depth and, if possible, send some files to understand it better.

If you are interested, I can give you my e-mail address for better info exchange.

Best regards,

Giuliano Carloni

LOGICA Consulting snc - Italy

• 14. Re: FileMaker and scriptable CAD
                                    mabt

Hi Guiliano

Thanks for your email.

That sounds very interesting... Please do let me have your email address and I will send you some further details (next week now).

Kind Regards

Martin

1 2 Previous Next