2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2012 1:08 PM by ronhof

Licencing / locking a FileMaker Go app for single iPad/iPhone using GUID / UUID or similar?

ronhof

Hi everyone,

I am currently researching if it possible to use Filemaker Go for a small application that is to be used by several people in several companies.

I would very much like to define how many devices each company uses by creating some kind of user accounts, so if they purchase a licence for 15 iPads they should not be able to 'loan' out the personal account to others.

Question is:
      Is it possible to LOCK a given device to a given username using for instance some kind of GUID to prevent the user to use this on several devices?

Maybe using Get(PersistentID) or GET(UUID)?

I guess there could be several approaches to acheive this, please chime in.

If this is possible, are there any examples that I could toy around with.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Regards Ronny

• 1. Re: Licencing / locking a FileMaker Go app for single iPad/iPhone using GUID / UUID or similar?
          DavidJondreau

Is this for a hosted or local file? How are you setting up accounts...does each user have their own account and do you create them or allow the company to? How much of the user creation, device registration, etc do you want to be automated? So, if a user loses their iPad how easy do you want it to be to move their license over to a new one (if at all)? How secure do you want this system to be? Making merely inconvenient to register more than their alloted amount will take care of 90% of the issue. You can put a lot more work into to take care of another 5%.

In the end, you'll be storing Get ( PersistentID ) somewhere, Get ( UUID ) doesn't really apply.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Licencing / locking a FileMaker Go app for single iPad/iPhone using GUID / UUID or similar?
            ronhof

I think it will be hosted, but it could be local as well. Have to do some more research to get the full picture. I guess there will be a simple company, employee related table with properties defining what features each user will have. This is not a very high security app, but i think that the accounts will be set up by our own salesperson. I agree that the PersistentID must be used to lock device to the account, and I hope it will not be a huge problem with lost iPad's :-) I was thinking that the first time a user account is used/logged in to, the PersistentID locks up and after that we manually change the PersistentID for that specific account whenever needed.

Is there any examples out there that show how this could be done? I'am just starting to play a little with FM, and as I said, I don't have the full picture yet.