4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2012 11:30 AM by Stephen Huston

Implications of Renaming Filemaker App

alc

On my Mac, I often add/change keyboard shortcuts for menu items (via System Prefs). This works great, with one big gotcha: I can only set them for one version.

So ideally I'd rename FMPA to FMPA12 (at least till I've got the bulk of my DBs converted)

My concern is what (if any) problems this would cause...

In particular, what would happen when I'm serving DBs to my mobile devices both locally via FMNet or via Cellular (I've already setup staticIP with port mapping for this).

Any other concerns.

Should it matter: this would not be for professional circumstances, but rather during development and testing, when database will only be served to/ or accessed by one user at a time.

Thanks in advance, xandra

• 1. Re: Implications of Renaming Filemaker App
          Stephen Huston

I have not renamed the FMP/A app in recent versions, so cannot speak from recent experience, but it caused no problems for me back in 8, 9, and 10.

However, if you are a paid subscriber to this forum, you can download a free copy of the FM Server Advanced for testing use, rather than use peer-to-peer file serving from the FMP app, and make the issue go away, along with gaining the benefits of the real server for all testing. It's available under My Software on this forum for paid subscribers. It's well worth the price of admission.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Implications of Renaming Filemaker App
            beverly

rather than renaming my apps, I rename my shortcuts (alias').

Beverly

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Implications of Renaming Filemaker App
              alc

Do you mean:

you create an alias of the App

rename the alias and  finally

choose the alias from Keyboard prefs?.

If so, what a GREAT workaround.

• 4. Re: Implications of Renaming Filemaker App
                Stephen Huston

You can also create an alias right in the app folder, rename the alias with the version number, and drag that alias into the Dock so you can see the versions in the Dock. Really useful when you have several versions installed and want to launch from the Dock. Otherwise you have to remember icons and colors for the various versions, which gets trickier for some of us as we get more versions installed.