7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2012 10:04 AM by coherentkris

Vector icons for FMP12 (and Go)

alc

What format / program needed to create vector objects for FMP... (I been assuming they're referring to vector objects that they describe as "resolution independant" graphics.)

But, I haven't had any luck with Illy (CS4) regardless of settings (preserve paths - etc).

Does it matter if object is pasted versus imported (via insert)?

Should it matter, I need to create for use in FMP v11 & 12, as well as the FMGo versions of both

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Vector icons for FMP12 (and Go)
          Stephen Huston

The import process for adding graphics to layouts is more reliable than pasting.

Do you need vector graphics for some specific reason? FM documentation and recent experience suggests that PNGs are the more consistently reliable format for use in FM systems, and they can preserve transparency, if that's an issue.

• 2. Re: Vector icons for FMP12 (and Go)
            Karen

Is this for printing?

Probably not, but If so...

I've had success with vector EPS for logos as long as the device supports postscript. Haven't done those it a while as postscript is not as prevelant. For inkjet and standard laser, I make a non-anti-aliased* bitmaps† (TIF, PNG, BMP etc) at the precise size and resolution of target printing device. As long as they are used at 100%, no one can tell they aren't the original vector. Unfortunately you then may need several.

When in doubt, one largest-use size graphic that can be reduced will suit (never enlarged as pixels will start to show). No bitmap graphic is going to behave as well as vector. I assume with the teensy pixels in our future some format will need to be supported for all application development.

*Non-anti-aliased will product the same quality as vector if all steps done correctly.

†JPG and GIF are 'lossy', degrading the art with compression or color reduction. Would be fun if we could use aninated GIF though.

BTW - reference the image from a single-record utility table rather than inserting a graphic multiple places.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Vector icons for FMP12 (and Go)
              beverly

I just tested importing SVG on FM12v2. It would go into a container, but not on the layout. (I could not paste SVG on the layout, either.)

-- sent from my iPhone4 --

Beverly Voth

--

• 4. Re: Vector icons for FMP12 (and Go)
                Stephen Huston

Graffiteria wrote:

BTW - reference the image from a single-record utility table rather than inserting a graphic multiple places.

Keep in mind that FM12 thumbnail generation displays graphics in containers at screen resolution, so adding graphics directly to layouts individually  produces better quality than placing them as container fields if you intend to print and want better than screen resultion.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Vector icons for FMP12 (and Go)
                  alc

Stephen: here's probably more than you may wish to know:

Prime reason I like using vectors is to avoid wasting time creating multiple sizes. Also, It's inefficent to add overly large images that get scaled down half the time.  Not a big deal desktop purposes but for iOS (or any mobile situation) ideally you keep things as tight/quick/small as possible.

The ability to scale vector up with no distortion or resolution loss makes them much more useful. You can use the same icon on your print/iOS/screen layouts.

Lastly, I should mention this is primarily for button icons and whatnot, and that I've always been a bit of vector head and prefer the crisp look for this type of function.

• 6. Re: Vector icons for FMP12 (and Go)
                    alc

Thanks all for some very useful info especially Steve's comment:

Keep in mind that FM12 thumbnail generation displays graphics in containers at screen resolution, so adding graphics directly to layouts individually  produces better quality than placing them as container fields if you intend to print and want better than screen resultion.

I Never knew that, liv'n learn.

• 7. Re: Vector icons for FMP12 (and Go)
                      coherentkris

I dont know about how 12 handles this but lots of graphics will cause filesize bloat fairly quickly..

If you import an image file onto a layout FM stores the graphic.

Copy the stored image and paste it anywhere in your solution and FM uses a couple byte reference to the original image.

Best thing is that you is that you can resize LARGER the pasted image at will and it will not change the .fp7 filesize 

K