1 2 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2012 3:32 AM by Nighthawk

Porting a .fp5 solution to .fp11

Nighthawk

hi everybody [ again ]

i am planning to convert a 2003 version of a fully working software currently running in fmp 6 to filemaker 11...

any thoughts on the subject... word of wisdom or warnings... any thing that can help me make that job easier...

are appreciated. has anybody undertaken such a project and maybe used some software assistance to create

all the relationships etc... or is it better to start from scratch..?

jürgen

• 1. Re: Porting a .fp5 solution to .fp11
          Mike_Mitchell

Nighthawk -

Here's an old white paper on migration. It's written for FM8, but the vast majority of the information hasn't changed.

HTH

Mike

• 2. Re: Porting a .fp5 solution to .fp11
            Lemmtech

I suggest you rebuild it. Move of the tables into a new 11 solutions and recreate all the relationsips. I did a lot of these and always recreated them and in 11 there are so many more tools in scripting like using varaibles and creating PDF's that you are much better off starting over in 11.

• 3. Re: Porting a .fp5 solution to .fp11
              Nighthawk

hi

guess you are correct... it is best to start fresh... i was just trying to take the easy way out... time is - as always - of the essence... and fresh development is a lengthy process... as you probably know... at least

i got the data model... so that part is solved...

jurgen

• 4. Re: Porting a .fp5 solution to .fp11
                gdurniak

I converted a typical 40 file solution, then rebuilt it slowly, while in use.

After three years, there is nothing left of the original ( either deleted, or pushed aside ), and all tables are now in one file

Keep in mind that over the three years, the way they do business also changed completely !

greg

PS

be sure to check out the File Reference Fixer, per the Tech Brief

> guess you are correct... it is best to start fresh... i was just trying to take the easy way out.

• 5. Re: Porting a .fp5 solution to .fp11
                  Mike_Mitchell

Greg's point is a good one. You don't have to do it all at once. You can do it a little at a time, as mentioned in the white paper. One method is to build a completely new interface file in .fp7 format and use the old files as data sources. You can then incorporate the old data tables as you have time, either into the interface file (making it a new single-file solution) or into one or more data files, which you build new.

Lots of options, and no need to rush the job.

Mike

• 6. Re: Porting a .fp5 solution to .fp11
                    beverly

Yes, I tend to start over. I also let FM convert a copy of the solution, as it will correct the script and function changes that may have happened. Use this copy of the solution for reference, when rebuilding. If you have FM advanced 11, run a DDR on this copy to see what may be missing in the conversion. This may also be helpful. 

-- sent from my iPhone4 --

Beverly Voth

--

• 7. Re: Porting a .fp5 solution to .fp11
                      gdurniak

( cont'd )

of course, the final converted solution still LOOKED like FileMaker 5

So, they finally hired a graphic designer, and after 3 months of meetings, and 5 drafts, they have a totally new Look & Feel ( not an easy task )

The design was done in Fireworks and Illustrator, then transferred to FileMaker

greg

• 8. Re: Porting a .fp5 solution to .fp11
                        Nighthawk

hi greg...

thx and good point... what scares me is your development time... well no not really... i thought it takes

a good while to convert and mangle out all those quirks that come with the conversion...

guess i have it all ahead of me... and better get started...

so thx and my guess is that i will need plenty of support from you guys...

jürgen

from sunny germany...

• 9. Re: Porting a .fp5 solution to .fp11
                          Nighthawk

hi beverly...

thx and good advice... yes i am running fm 11 advanced... so i can follow your advice re the ddr... no probs

and hopefully i can count on you during development...

from sunny germany...

jürgen

• 10. Re: Porting a .fp5 solution to .fp11
                            Lemmtech

Once you convert the old solution to 11 you can easily copies portions of it into one file or you can start with a copy of the primary file and then copy in tables and layouts etc into it as needed. I just did a 6 conversion to 11 last year and have another one the horizon. The scripting relationsip logic is very different in 11 so just converting a 6 solution to 11 doesn't get you much and may make things work worse. Once you convert be sure to clean up all your external file references FIRST before doing anything else as they will most likely be all over the place. Good luck!

• 11. Re: Porting a .fp5 solution to .fp11
                              gdurniak

Relationships should "survive" a conversion ( and did for us )

Can you give an example where it "made things work worse" ?

I will admit the resulting "spider web" of a Relationship Graph may not be pretty, but it works !

greg

> The scripting relationsip logic is very different in 11 so just converting a 6 solution to 11 doesn't get you much and may make things work worse

• 12. Re: Porting a .fp5 solution to .fp11
                                Lemmtech

Yes relationships of course convert but many are not needed in the new structure so you have a lot of duplicate relationsips. When you convert an old .fp5 solution you get usually bring over a lot of "overhead" extra stuff that you don't need which can slow things down. On of the main issues is cleaning up old files references to locations that are no longer valid.  Everyone needs to make their own decision of course but I have always felt combining all your old .fp5 files onto one, using new relational model and more effcient scriping techniques worked best. FileMaker is a VERY forgiving progam you can do things all sorts of ways that aren't optimal or recommended and it will still work and in the case of .fp5 solutions I have seen a lot of this.

• 13. Re: Porting a .fp5 solution to .fp11
                                  Lemmtech

One last thought If you are going to rebuid it anyway you should really consider just going to 12 I'm no fan of 12 but unless they can stay in 11 for a while longer might as well bite the bullet and move up to 12 at the same time. Good luck!

• 14. Re: Porting a .fp5 solution to .fp11
                                    StephenWonfor

Jürgen

If you decide to "convert and run" I would recommend NewMillennium's MetaDataMagic - especially the conversion analysis tool.  I have done 6 "convert and runs" and that tool has proved invaluable.  The File Reference Fixer is also a gem...

Stephen

"Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese." --- Luis Bunuel

1 2 Previous Next