11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2012 9:50 AM by sporobolus

PDF Bloat in FMP v12

MattGreger

Today's our first day running live in v12. I converted over the weekend and we started using this morning with about 20 users. A few nuances, but all is going pretty well, except PDF creation.

This is a HUGE problem. We append tape requests into a single PDF file to send to our duplication facility. A file created in FMP 11 is 2.7MB, but the same exact file in FMP 12 is 31.2MB. If you open it in Acrobat and do a save as, it brings the file back down to around 2.7MB.

These PDFs are automatically emailed and now we're getting rejections due to the file size being so large.

I'm just using FileMaker's built in PDF functions and append option.

I have a feeling this is a similar issue to the slow printing problems. This is a converted file and we're using the v2 updates. Besides having to rebuild all my printing layouts, any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt

• 1. Re: PDF Bloat in FMP v12
          taylorsharpe

Is the layout classic or themed?  If it is just a converted classic one, you might try converting it to a themed one.  Apparently classic layouts, on conversion from 11, become much larger for some reason.  This probably has to do with making theme work in the new layout architecture.  This is just a guess, but give it a try and see if it helps at all. 

• 2. Re: PDF Bloat in FMP v12
            jrenfrew

One of the problems will be with the append you are using

'Good' PDF creators will re-use resources that are in the catalogue, but this is using the print engiine so it literally just adds more stuff into the PDF, and FM has never actually been that good at this process. Actually prettty much expected behaviour, except that the bloat is cumulative.

Among other things waht happens when you save as in acrobat is that it removes duplicated resources and also tidies up a lot of the badly written object streams.

The answer is for us all to submit bug reports like crazy till this gets some engineering effort thrown at it.

• 3. Re: PDF Bloat in FMP v12
              MattGreger

Well, bad news. Applying a theme and redoing the layout actually made it worse, 1.3MB larger, so that's NOT the issue. Going the route of re-writing the script using ScriptMaster and iText. I have used it in other parts of the solution, so I'm hopeful…

Already contacted my SE's now submitting bug report. Thanks!

Matt

• 4. Re: PDF Bloat in FMP v12
                jrenfrew

Great to find somene else using iText. Brilliant tool.

• 5. Re: PDF Bloat in FMP v12
                  LSNOVER

Is iText cross platform?  I've been using Bullzip on Windows with pretty good success. 

• 6. Re: PDF Bloat in FMP v12
                    jrenfrew

It is a Java library for creation and low level manipulation of PDF working under ScriptMaster so completely cross platform

• 7. Re: PDF Bloat in FMP v12
                      MattGreger

My SE said to make sure the PDF settings are set to Acrobat 7 or higher. WAMO, that did it!

FileMaker is aware of this issue, but it seems to be a problem with Acrobat settings of 5 or 6. Since these were older scripts, they were set to 5 or higher.

HTH,

Matt

• 8. Re: PDF Bloat in FMP v12
                        beverly

I wasn't quite sure what Matt meant, so I did some quick screen shots. See if they help others:

save_records_as_PDF.jpgPDF_Options.jpg

After you select Save As (PDF), click on the "Options" button, then select the Compatibility "Acrobat 7 and later".

Beverly

• 9. Re: PDF Bloat in FMP v12
                          sporobolus

on 2012-08-07 7:37 MattGreger wrote

My SE said to make sure the PDF settings are set to Acrobat 7 or higher. WAMO, that did it!

please let us know how much smaller the same PDF becomes with that setting

• 10. Re: PDF Bloat in FMP v12
                            MattGreger

In FMP 11v3, the combined appended file was 2.7MB. After conversion to FMP 12v2, the same combined PDF file was 32.5MB. After changing compatibility from Acrobat 5 or higher to Acrobat 7 or higher, the file is 2MB. 700K smaller than FMP 11. I have not tried changing the FMP 11 files to Acrobat 7 or higher to see if that makes any difference there. I'm happy with a smaller file than what was in FMP 11!

• 11. Re: PDF Bloat in FMP v12
                              sporobolus

on 2012-08-07 10:13 MattGreger wrote

In FMP 11v3, the combined appended file was 2.7MB. After conversion to FMP 12v2, the same combined PDF file was 32.5MB. After changing compatibility from Acrobat 5 or higher to Acrobat 7 or higher, the file is 2MB. 700K smaller than FMP 11. I have not tried changing the FMP 11 files to Acrobat 7 or higher to see if that makes any difference there. I'm happy with a smaller file than what was in FMP 11!

thanks for the info; that's a pretty good result