3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2012 1:00 AM by Malcolm

Application resolution

dila

How I can make my application fits to all size of screen without scrolling?

• 1. Re: Application resolution
          taylorsharpe

Design for an iPhone!  <grin>

Obviously you have to take into account varying screen sizes.  You can use anchoring so that layouts grow  wider as the screen gets bigger.  And you can use startup scripts to test the device you are on so that if you are on an iPad, it goes to an iPad sized layout, or an iPhone, it goes to an iPhone sized layout.  And you can desk the width of the screen ( Get ( WindowDesktopWidth ) ) to see how big the desktop is and pick customized layouts based on how big it is.  But there is no layout that fits all screen sizes other than the smallest imaginable screen such as the iPhone, and then that layout looks pretty bad on a big 23" monitor. 

Welcome, to layout design considerations 101!

• 2. Re: Application resolution
            dila

Does it mean I have to create multiple layouts for different device screen size and then it will fits based on the current size?

• 3. Re: Application resolution
              Malcolm

Does it mean I have to create multiple layouts for different device screen size and then it will fits based on the current size?

You design your layouts to suit the screens you expect it to run on but there are other considerations too. Your layouts may need to support FMPro App ( win / mac ), FMGo ( iPhone / iPad ) or IWP. The fact that different environments have different behaviours often means that you should create different layouts to support the different underlying technology.

If you expect it to run on iPhone/Touch you'll need to design layouts which are (1) small (2) rotate (3) support iOS behaviour.

If you expect it to run in IWP you need to design layouts/objects/scripts that support web behaviour.

For all FMPro App layouts 1024×768  is a good starting point because it fits iPads and smaller laptops as well as 15" screens. You could design for that and use object scaling to adjust objects to increase when they run on larger screens. Many workplaces create more screen real estate by putting two 15" or two 17" screens side by side, so a 1024x768 screen side is very useful.

If you expect it to run on a much larger screen 1920x1080 then you could provide an alternate layouts for those.  I find that there is a design dilemma for these large screens. It is possible to fit a lot into that space but does it help the user? It may be better to use larger font sizes and more white space rather than putting more information onto the screen.