11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2012 9:47 AM by gdurniak

MAC vs. PC printing

bennieboop

I have a layout for a form that I created. When I print it from a PC it prints fine; however, when I print it from a MAC, the layout objects slide down causing it to print with broken pages, in other words page 1 of the form, the bottom of it is cut off and is on page two, which in turn pushes page two down, cuts off the bottom and puts it on page three, and so forth.

Has anyone dealt with an issue like this before. We are using FMPro 11 currently. Is there anyway to fix it so it prints perfectly from both platforms?

• 1. Re: MAC vs. PC printing
          Mike_Mitchell

Hello, bennieboop.

It sounds like the layout is a little too long for the print drivers on the Mac. Try shortening the layout and see what happens.

Mike

• 2. Re: MAC vs. PC printing
            gdurniak

Are you printing with a script, or by hand ?

> When I print it from a PC it prints fine; however, when I print it from a MAC, the layout objects slide down

• 3. Re: MAC vs. PC printing
              bennieboop

We attempted that and now the PC side looks short.  Is there a script that can detect the platform of the user (we are currently not using a script to print, gdurniak) and adjust the layout accordingly, or do we have to create two different layouts and based on the user platform have buttons for then to select if they are printing from MAC or PC.

• 4. Re: MAC vs. PC printing
                bennieboop

No script.

• 5. Re: MAC vs. PC printing
                  gdurniak

two layouts is not crazy, but a pain to maintain

you can use Get( SystemPlatform )

on the Mac ( and Windows ), in the Print Dialog, work your way thru every options, and make sure there is nothing you can fix

I just had a problem where the Mac was unknowingly set to draw a bounding box ...

> do we have to create two different layouts

• 6. Re: MAC vs. PC printing
                    sporobolus

on 2012-08-07 7:22 Mike_Mitchell wrote

It sounds like the layout is a little too long for the print drivers on the Mac.

i'd expect this to be specific to individual printers and the settings for

their drivers; if using the same printer on both platforms, double check the

detailed settings for the print jobs; if using different printers (or

developing a solution that will be used on a variety of printers) try to assume

the widest possible margins or allow for variation in the pagebreaks

• 7. Re: MAC vs. PC printing
                      Mike_Mitchell

Another option: I don't know what this layout looks like, but if you have any whitespace in between fields, you could create a calculation field that consists of some number of carriage returns IF your system platform is the PC, and is just empty if the platform is Mac. Place that on the layout between your fields and set it to slide up. That way, when you print on the PC, your layout will expand just a bit to cover all the space, but on the Mac, it will collapse so it won't overrun the space.

Just an idea, but it might prevent having to have two layouts.

Mike

• 8. Re: MAC vs. PC printing

Just in case, did you set print borders within FM?

• 9. Re: MAC vs. PC printing
                          bennieboop

Ok.....

So I used the Print Setup Script and through that dialog box instructed FM to print the form to 8 1/2 x 11 and fit to page.  We ran the script on 3 different computers (one being MAC) and sent the docs to two different printers (whatever the default printer is for the particular computer we were using.  The script is done without dialog).  Magically, now the form prints fine no matter the platform or printer.

No sure if it is a fix, but its a start...thanks all for your help.

• 10. Re: MAC vs. PC printing
                            taylorsharpe

FileMaker has always been lacking in printing and part of it has to do with print drivers.  As you change your selection of a printer, you can see that your margins change in your FileMaker layout.  What a pain.  So what I generally do is design layouts for a PDF layout and I print to PDF and have the PDF open automatically for printing, at least for reports that I need to look good and consistent.  Another thing that is nice about PDF is that when printing, it looks to see if everything fits within the printers borders and if it doesn't, it automatically shrinks it accordingly.  Boy that would be nice in FileMaker, but alas, it just seems to be a PDF trick. 

• 11. Re: MAC vs. PC printing
                              gdurniak

A little off topic, but this PDF default has hurt me two or three times.

One job was a brochure emailed to a printer, that quietly printed at 95%. Yikes !

Another was an Invoice design that had to be "pixel perfect"

I'm now a little more careful !

greg

> it automatically shrinks it accordingly.  Boy that would be nice in FileMaker,