13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2012 4:26 AM by Mike_Mitchell

ExecuteSQL and "?"

Mike_Mitchell

Okay, I'm definitely not a SQL whiz, and I do not get the use of the "?" in the SQL statements. Can somebody explain this to me? For example:

SELECT * FROM table WHERE table.DateField <= ?

I can't find this anywhere except as a single character wildcard. How does that work when you're querying a date field?

Or what about this one?

ExecuteSQL (

"SELECT * FROM table WHERE table.field IN (?,?,?)" ; " " ; "|" ; "(A,B,C)" ) (I think I got that syntax right)

What the heck is that?

'Splain to the dummy, please.

Mike

• 1. Re: ExecuteSQL and "?"
          nsabel

the ? is used to add arguments to the SQL statment. For example you want to use a field for your WHERE criteria using arguments would look like this

ExecuteSQL ( "SELECT * FROM table WHERE field = ?" ; "" ; "" ; fmTable:fmField )

If you did not use the argument it would have to be written like this.

ExecuteSQL ( "SELECT * FROM table WHERE field = " & fmTable:fmField ; "" ; "" )

Arguments are used in the order they occur in the SELECT statement and are seperated by a ;

The seconds statement will not work because each ? needs to be declared seperatly.

ExecuteSQL ( "SELECT * FROM table WHERE table.field IN (?,?,?)" ; " " ; "|" ; "A" ; "B" ; "C" )

Another reason for the use of the arguments is when you have a single quote in your statement. for example

ExecuteSQL ( "SELECT * FROM table WHERE field = 'can''t' ; "" ; "" ) note: a second single quote is required to make this work

with arguments

ExecuteSQL ( "SELECT * FROM table WHERE field = ? " ; "" ; "" ; "can't" )

Hope this helps.

Nick

• 2. Re: ExecuteSQL and "?"
            Mike_Mitchell

Ah, very good! So it's specific to ExecuteSQL. No wonder I (along with some of my SQL jocks here) were scratching our heads.

Thank you sir!

Mike

• 3. Re: ExecuteSQL and "?"
              gdurniak

It depends on the vendor. It appears Access and Sybase also accept ? as a parameter

greg

> So it's specific to ExecuteSQL

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: ExecuteSQL and "?"
                Mike_Mitchell

Thanks, Greg. No wonder when people say, "Do you know SQL?", the first question ought to be, "Which one?"

• 5. Re: ExecuteSQL and "?"
                  DavidJondreau

While dynamic parameters can be useful for writing the actual SQL statements, they do have an entirely separate primary purpose, which is to prevent injection attacks.

• 6. Re: ExecuteSQL and "?"
                    DavidJondreau

To elaborate:

Say you have a database with a CLIENTS table with a ClientName field. There are many client records. You also have a RESULT table storing data including ClientName and a confidential Score field. Each client has a dozen scores. Users log on to see their scores. They can also change their name. You use ExecuteSQL to grab their scores matching on their name: ExecuteSQL ( "SELECT ClientName,Score FROM RESULTS WHERE ClientName='" &  CLIENTS::ClientName & "' ; "" ; "" )

WhenTom logs in, goes to his record, and runs his scores, ExecuteSQL() calculates the request as: "SELECT ClientName,Score FROM RESULTS WHERE ClientName='Tom'"

However, if "Tom" changes his name to "Tom' OR ClientName='%" then you're running an ExecuteSQL() on "SELECT ClientName,Score FROM RESULTS WHERE ClientName='Tom' OR ClientName='%'" and Tom will see *every* score.

By using ExecuteSQL ( "SELECT ClientName,Score FROM RESULTS WHERE ClientName=?" ; "" ; "" ; CLIENTS::ClientName ) you avoid that second possibility. I don't know what's happening in the background.

I'm sure there's much more a smart SQL hacker can do than this example, but that's the idea...

EDIT: Tom doesn't even need to know the name of the ClientName field, changing his name to "xyz' OR '1'='1" will work just fine.

Message was edited by: DavidJondreau

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: ExecuteSQL and "?"
                      Mike_Mitchell

Thanks, David. Good info.

• 8. Re: ExecuteSQL and "?"
                        nsabel

David brings up a VERY IMPORTANT point I didn't mention as it is the only real use for arguments that Filemaker has in the documentation . Use of arguments primary function is to prevent security vulnerabilities through injection attacks.

• 9. Re: ExecuteSQL and "?"
                          pennyruddell

Just to mention that http://www.filemakerhacks.com/ has some excellent ExecuteSQL articles, including information on Dynamic Parameters.

Penny

• 10. Re: ExecuteSQL and "?"
                            Mike_Mitchell

On reflection, I'm a little confused by this. In your example, "Clients::ClientName" evaluates to its current contents ... which would be "Tom" or the injection string. So how does moving "Clients::ClientName" to a parameter prevent Tom from injecting SQL code? Does FileMaker automatically strip SQL commands out of the parameter?

Just for my own edification, mind you ...   

Mike

• 11. Re: ExecuteSQL and "?"
                              nsabel

When you build the ExecuteSQL statement using the ExecuteSQL ( "SELECT * FROM table WHERE field = " & fmTable:fmField & "'" ; "" ; "" ) method you have add in all of the required single quotes. If you notice in Davids example "Tom' OR ClientName='%" Tom has no opening single quote and the % wildcard has no closing single quote. What happens is this changes the SQL statement to ExecuteSQL ( "SELECT * FROM table WHERE field = 'Tom' OR ClientName='%' " ; "" ; "" ) hence the injection. When it is used as an argument the whole argument text is used in the WHREE field = "argument". I'm not 100% on the inner workings of Filemaker in accomplishing this task, but it falls inline with my eairlier example of the single quote being used in a statement vs brought in with an argument.

David might be able to better explain what Filemaker is actually doing under the hood to accomplish this.

Nick

• 12. Re: ExecuteSQL and "?"
                                tech_liaison

I'd also like to mention that the FileMaker Help menu is also quite handy. 

• 13. Re: ExecuteSQL and "?"
                                  Mike_Mitchell

When in doubt, RTFM. (Read The Friendly Manual)    

Thanks, Dave.