1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 7, 2012 11:11 AM by TimDietrich

FMP 12: The Missing Manual

richardsrussell

I much enjoyed the DevCon presentation on presentations by Susan Prosser and noted that she was a co-author (with Stuart Gripman) of (the then forthcoming, now available) FMP 12: The Missing Manual from Pogue Press and O'Reilly Publishing. Since one reason I attended DevCon was to learn as much as possible about the new version (and the .fmp12 file format), and since the conference was like drinking from a fire hose, I figured I could stand a 2nd helping, but one that I could consume at my own pace.

I am pleased to report, based on my immediate need to know how FMP 12 did binding of runtime applications, that Susan walked me thru the process quickly and painlessly, with her characteristic subtle wit, almost like having a good friend kibitzing over your shoulder while you work and occasionally joshing you a little, assuming that your friend is a world-class expert in the program you're trying to use.

I know the publisher calls all the books in this series "the missing manual", but that implies it's like an encyclopedia, to be dipped into here and there at need, when really I think it's more like a textbook. And, as a guy who ended up a history major because I loved all the great stories in the history textbooks, it reads like a novel (again, assuming that you think of scripts as plots and container fields as heroes).

Aside from jumping ahead to find out how binding turns out, I'm reading steadily cover to cover, finding something new about every 5-6 pages and something interesting on every page, and enjoying it considerably. Also lots of pictures. I like pictures.

I thot I'd start this discusssion thread to see what other people think about the book.

• 1. Re: FMP 12: The Missing Manual
          TimDietrich

Richard --

I started reading the Kindle version this weekend (on my iPad), and I'm really enjoying it. There aren't many books that cover FileMaker, so I try to read all of them as they are published. One of the things that I like about this series is that - as you mentioned - they don't present information in an encyclopedic manner. (The formatting of the Kindle edition is excellent, by the way.)

I'm often asked by clients that are interested in learning more about FileMaker if there are any "good books" that cover FileMaker, and for years I've recommended the Missing Manual series - going all the way back to the FileMaker Pro 8 version (that Susan wrote with Geoff Coffey). I'll be recommending the latest version to clients as well.

I'm not sure if Susan Prosser and Stuart Gripman will see this here or not (I hope so), but if so: Great job!

-- Tim