9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2012 4:36 AM by SimonPlint

FMP12 Webviewer Error When Connecting to Mac OS 10.8 Server WIKI

SimonPlint

I have just set FMS12 on a MacMini with Mac OS server 10.8. I am using the built-in WIKI for an online manual but when I put the URL into a webviewer I get a "Unsupported Browser" message. Does FM know about this or is there some setting I need to change? Regards Simon.

• 1. Re: FMP12 Webviewer Error When Connecting to Mac OS 10.8 Server WIKI
          SimonPlint

I should mention that I am running Mac OS 10.8 and Safari 6.0. and FMPA12.

• 2. Re: FMP12 Webviewer Error When Connecting to Mac OS 10.8 Server WIKI
            steve.winter

Hi Simone

See: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11006/~/mac-os-x-mountain-lion-compatibility-with-filemaker-server-12-and-filemaker where you will see that FileMaker are currently saying;

It is recommended that you do not install FileMaker Server 12.0v1 or FileMaker Server 12.0v1 Advanced on Mountain Lion.

(Their bold not mine )

HTH

Steve

• 3. Re: FMP12 Webviewer Error When Connecting to Mac OS 10.8 Server WIKI
              SimonPlint

Steve,

I think that running FMS12 on Mt Lion server and using FMPA12 webviewer to connect to a Mt Lion server WIKI are totally separate. How can the fact that a webviewer in FMPA12 is not able to display web pages from a Mt Lion server WIKI have anything to do with the fact that FMS12 is also running on the same server?

Regards,

Simon.

• 4. Re: FMP12 Webviewer Error When Connecting to Mac OS 10.8 Server WIKI
                steve.winter

Hi Simon

Ok, I was reading more your message than the subject - it sounded very much from the message like the issue you were having was with running FMS on Mt. Lion.

So, if I understand correctly, you have FM client running on Mt. Lion, and that you're using a webviewer on a layout in that to access an OS X 10.8 served wiki - is that correct...?

And when you do this, instead of the wiki, you see 'Unsurported browser' in the web viewer, instead of the wiki...? also correct...?

From what you're describing it sounds like the wiki is checking an internal list of known browsers, and is failing to recognise the web viewer... Can you view the wiki using Safari on the client machine...? or does it result in the same error...?

Cheers

Steve

• 5. Re: FMP12 Webviewer Error When Connecting to Mac OS 10.8 Server WIKI
                  SimonPlint

Steve,

Correct on all accounts except the wiki displays without error in safari. As a work around for my solution I am using an "Open URL" script step to open the wiki in the user's browser but I'd like to be able to display it inside the solution with a Web Viewer. It's not a big problem. I was just interested to know if anyone else was having the same issue?

Regards, Simon.

• 6. Re: FMP12 Webviewer Error When Connecting to Mac OS 10.8 Server WIKI
                    steve.winter

Hi Simon

That's really interesting - I have always understood that the webviewer is essentially an embedded 'engine' of the OS default browser, Safari on Mac and IE on PC…

As a matter of interest, if you go to http://msdev.co.uk/rd.php (which will output details of your IP address, the port used, and the user agent which your 'browser' sends) in each of Safari 6 and an FM12 webviewer on Mt Lion, what is reported for the User agent…?

On 10.7.4 this is what I see;

Safari:                     Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_7_4) AppleWebKit/536.25 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Safari/536.25

FM12.02 web viewer:      Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_7_4) AppleWebKit/534.56.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/531.9

Which you'll see are interestingly similar, but slightly different...

I'm presuming that they will be different, and that therefore the wiki functionality is failing to determine 'who' the user device is (which in my view is really bad design on the part of the wiki - to fail to show anything for an allegedly unsupported browser is extremely poor IM not so HO)…

Do you know if the issue is at the client, or there server end…? i.e. if you point an FM12 client webviewer on 10.8 at a 10.7 server, does it work…? or if you point an FM12 client webviewer on 10.7 at a 10.8 server does that work…??

It would be interesting to 'nail down' exactly which component/combination is the root cause of the issue… I know that in the preview version of FM12 that the web viewer wasn't returning anything for the user agent, so it's clearly been 'fixed' to some level...

Cheers

Steve

Steve Winter

Matatiro Solutions Limited

steve@matatirosolutions.co.uk

p:  +44 23 8064 4181

m: +44 77 7852 4776

USA: +1 415 315 9912

2a St. Mary's Road

Bishopstoke SO50 6BP

Registered in England and Wales: 6300320

Registered Office: 44 Southchurch Road, Southend, SS1 2LZ

VAT Registration Number: 916 8809 86

IMPORTANT: This message is private and confidential. If you have received this message in error, please notify us and remove it from your system.

• 7. Re: FMP12 Webviewer Error When Connecting to Mac OS 10.8 Server WIKI
                      SimonPlint

Steve,

I have inserted 3 screen shots, Safari, FMPA12, FMPA11. I have not got a 10.7 server wiki to test it on. I think the issue is with the 10.8 server wiki.

Regards,

Simon.

UsingSafari.png

UsingFMPA12Webviewer.png

UsingFMPA11Webviewer.png

• 8. Re: FMP12 Webviewer Error When Connecting to Mac OS 10.8 Server WIKI
                        steve.winter

Simon

I would agree that it appears to be an issue with the wiki - perhaps it's looking for the 'Version' identifier, which the browser seems to send, but which FM doesn't - your test above would certainly suggest that the issue is more likely to be with the wiki, rather than anything related to FM since you're seeing the same FM behaviour with 11 and 12...

I am however intrigued by the fact that the FM build of Safari is the same between 11 and 12, but different to that used by Safari itself - I had always (clearly based on this mistakenly) understood that FM used the current version of the browser engine installed on your computer - it would however look as though they are installing their own engine, but that all versions of FM use the most recent FM one...

I don't think we've got any closer to resolving the issue for you, and I don't think we're going to be able to - this looks much more like an OS X wiki issue than an FM one...

Good luck

Steve