10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2012 8:03 PM by nickorr

New article from my blog! Review of RefreshFM

filemakeris.us

Hello! at http://filemakerhappyguy.com/diego.dalessio/2012/08/11/review-refreshfm/ you can read the latest article from my blog.

Enjoy it!

DD

• 1. Re: New article from my blog! Review of RefreshFM
          CICT

FMRefresh sounds to be a fantastic tool. I have a question to anyone who's used it, but first to put it into context:

We use the separation model and versioning the UI file is very key to us. If we have to add or change fields in the data source files we usually do this on the live version and bring back copies to continue the dev work in the UI file.

An upgrade is usually: close the files on the server, archive off the existing UI file and replace with the new versioned UI file. We have our own inbuilt HR system that can normally deal with user/security issues.

The strength of this approach is that should anything go wrong as a result of the upgrade, the downgrade process is an exact reverse of the upgrade and can be done in minutes.

If an upgrade goes in with FMRefresh and, for whatever reason after data input has resumed the upgraded version causes problems, can FMRefresh return the system back to the previous version? My uneducated guess is that you repoint to the original file and repeat the process?

Thanks

Andy

• 2. Re: New article from my blog! Review of RefreshFM
            filemakeris.us

Hello Andy,

As I wrote in my article, whether you use separation model or not, there is some point where you might need to do a major upgrade.

With refreshFM you can set up everything, do the import process and check if everything is OK. If some strange thing goes on, you can assing a new "Development" file (with the corrections) and re-do the import process.

Also, RefreshFM automatically back ups your files, so you have a roll back instance right away.

Hope I answered your question!

• 3. Re: New article from my blog! Review of RefreshFM
              CICT

Thanks, yes I think so. My interest is after data has started to be entered again, so reverting to a backup wouldn't be appropriate, and you want to revert to the original for a period of time, which I believe you are saying can just be treated as another upgrade.

Thanks for an interesting blog.

Andy

• 4. Re: New article from my blog! Review of RefreshFM
                RonSmithMD

Heck I tried RefreshFM on a genealogy database under FM11 and I can't get by the 409 import error and the docs haven't helped me get a solution. Was that when you had to disable all the other plugins? And why would you need to do that in the first place? Are there specific plugin conflicts?

Ron

Ron Smith, MD

PapercutPro

Want to find out more about me and my family?

Forever And A Day For Laura Michelle

• 5. Re: New article from my blog! Review of RefreshFM
                  filemakeris.us

Thanks for your feedback Andy. I'm really open for suggestions and comments!!!

• 6. Re: New article from my blog! Review of RefreshFM
                    filemakeris.us

Hello Ron. I've never encountered that error. (Although I know that 409 is Import order is invalid)

There are some plugins that can crash with anothers. I wasn't able to pick who was the culprit in this case.

Did you contact the folks from Goya? (http://www.goya.com.au/refreshfm/support)

Let's keep in touch so you we make it work

Best wishes!

--

Diego D'Alessio

(the) FileMaker Happy Guy

Twitter: @fmhappyguy

Facebook:/Fmhappyguy

MySpace: Really?? MySpace?? Who uses MySpace??

• 7. Re: New article from my blog! Review of RefreshFM
                      RonSmithMD

I didn't contact them yet because I thought it might have been what happened to you and might be a quick fix for me.

Ron

Ron Smith, MD

Want to know more about me and my family? Take a look at the free ebook about my daughter below.

Forever And A Day For Laura Michelle

• 8. Re: New article from my blog! Review of RefreshFM
                        BenGraham

I have worked quite a bit with RefreshFM where I used it for a verticle solution with separation model.  It was the simpllest way that I could update the data file in my solution while distributing a new interface along with the changed data file.

Nick Orr has been most helpful in working things out where there were difficulties.  We were mostly working on the Distribution license for RefreshFM that allows you to set it all up, package the new data file with the new interface, then in my case set it up that the user will show the script where their old data file is located.  Then it imports the old data to the new data file, runs some custom script that I have in the interface file that were needed for the conversion, and opens the new interface file connected with their new data file containiing the data from their existing working system.

Works great.  I have never had the 409 error.  I have most import table set as matching fields and a few that are custom field matching to line up some changed and new fields.

• 9. Re: New article from my blog! Review of RefreshFM
                          nickorr

CICT wrote:

The strength of this approach is that should anything go wrong as a result of the upgrade, the downgrade process is an exact reverse of the upgrade and can be done in minutes.

Yes, this is the advantage of UI only files.  RefreshFM is for the opposite case where you have data that needs to be moved from a live version of your solution to a new empty development version.

If an upgrade goes in with FMRefresh and, for whatever reason after data input has resumed the upgraded version causes problems, can FMRefresh return the system back to the previous version? My uneducated guess is that you repoint to the original file and repeat the process?

Yes, you could easily run it in reverse to go back a version.  One of the great features of RefreshFM is that during the import itself, the live files aren't touched, so if something did go wrong you just re-open the live files and continue working.  Plus it's making backups so you have copies of everything that was worked on.

Cheers,

Nick

• 10. Re: New article from my blog! Review of RefreshFM
                            nickorr

RonSmithMD wrote:

Heck I tried RefreshFM on a genealogy database under FM11 and I can't get by the 409 import error and the docs haven't helped me get a solution.

409 is a FileMaker error code, meaning "Import order is invalid".  Something along the way has been mismatched in your import script.  Send me some details off-list and I'll help you sort through it.

Was that when you had to disable all the other plugins? And why would you need to do that in the first place? Are there specific plugin conflicts?

There isn't anything specific about RefreshFM that would conflict with other plugins, and we're not requiring plugins to be disabled, so I'll chat to Diego off-list to get some more details.

We're using our free BaseElements plugin, and it's included with the files, but you can also use it on your own solutions.

Cheers,

Nick