7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2012 7:02 AM by DavidMoore

Question for those smarter than I

DavidMoore

Server email notifications...hmmm...

I would like to be notified via email, only when a schedule fails to execute. Currently I get 9 emails an hour from my various servers letting me know that "all is well," but I'd really rather get them only when something is amiss.

Any suggestions. Thanks you as always.

David Moore

Moore Brothers Wine Company

New Jersey, Delaware, New York City

888-686-6673

http://moorebrothers.com/david-moore

• 1. Re: Question for those smarter than I
          MattLeach

I believe with schedules it is all or nothing.

Under General Settings, Email Notifications, there is a checkbox for Errors only but i believe that reports errors with the server itself, not schedules.

• 2. Re: Question for those smarter than I
            DavidMoore

That's how it seems, I was hoping for better:)

• 3. Re: Question for those smarter than I
              mbraendle

You could write a filter rule for your mail client/mail server that moves mails with completed schedules to a folder or trash.

• 4. Re: Question for those smarter than I
                DavidMoore

Yes, but this is something that should be addressed in the Server software given that these notifications got out to a number of different people as well. Semms silly. Oh well..

• 5. Re: Question for those smarter than I
                  JonThatcher

Matt, that's not quite correct. Remove the phrase starting with "but" from "there is a checkbox for Errors only but i believe that reports errors with the server itself, not schedules."

To be more clear, there are two separate mechanisms at work:

1. the send email checkbox in the schedule is for sending a message at the end of that schedule, and there will always be a message (success or failure); plus the list of who to send the email to is for just that schedule

2. the General Settings / Email Notifications will send email for all Database Server errors (or all errors and warnings) to one list of users

A schedule error will be reported by both mechanisms, if they are set up correctly.

David, it sounds like what you probably want to do is turn on the General email notifications for errors, and turn off the per schedule email notifications (at least for the schedules that you only want to get error notifications from).

HTH,

Jon Thatcher

• 6. Re: Question for those smarter than I
                    jbante

I've dealt with this sort of issue in the past by running a separate FileMaker schedule for email notifications. I'd edit the scripts run by each schedule to log completion timestamps and possibly other status to a new table. The email notification schedule would check that table for scripts that haven't completed within a certain interval or completed with errors, then send an alert email only if something is wrong. This wont be able to send you an alert if all schedules are unable to run, such as if the server is down, but it's something to consider.

• 7. Re: Question for those smarter than I
                      DavidMoore

And you believe that I'll get only notifications of errors? Sounds like a plan. Thanks.