9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2012 5:34 PM by Malcolm

Google API in FM Web

guy@guym.com

Are there any issued re: using iwp and the google maps api?

Using the api in a database seems to be verboten as it is not readily and pubicly available. The api's seem intended for use by web apps, not apps that access the web via a viewer.

I'm working on a db to show fire hydrants, emerbendy valves and fire hose locations in a structured way with history, repairs, etc.

Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: Google API in FM Web
          Mike Duncan

Google's offerings are a nice addition to your developer toolbelt, a lot of people use them in filemaker solutions.

I have a few examples using both the Maps (Driving Directions) and their Charts (Interactive Charts). You can download my samples for free here...

http://www.logicurio.com/downloads.php

I haven't tested these in IWP, so you can try them yourself.

• 2. Re: Google API in FM Web
            Malcolm

Are there any issued re: using iwp and the google maps api?

Displaying a map image is easy enough. Using the API for anything more is problematic. I discovered yesterday that on Windows the webviewer doesn't accept json, it throws it to the OS. The same occurs when using IWP regardless of the browser but that is documented behaviour.

Using the api in a database seems to be verboten as it is not readily and pubicly available.  The api's seem intended for use by web apps, not apps that access the web via a viewer.

The thrust of the agreement is that if you are giving your output away for free Google will give you their output for free. If you are using their output for private/commercial use you should speak to them.

Malcolm

• 3. Re: Google API in FM Web
              guy@guym.com

using the api to create a complex URL easy; then I use the new “InsertURL” script step  to insert a map into a container field.  I plot numerous items and then put on a page with info about the items such as history, repairs, cost, etc.

Mu concern with google is they qant $10,000 minium to use the maps unless they are on a public web site.   Database usage is explicitly prohibited.

guy

• 4. Re: Google API in FM Web
                guy@guym.com

Thanks...

the map gizmo works in IWP... the green “A” needs to be removed as browser only sees “real” characters.  Good job. 

There is some delay, but not too bad considering it’s going from browser to FM to your PHP and back again... 3-4 seconds.

I’m still concerned with google’s $10,000 minimum licensing to use their maps in a non public web site; and some of their T&C’s prohibit use with a database.

I’m using the staticmaps api and it is easy, but I’d like to also offer interactive maps via scripting. 

Thanks for your help.

Guy

• 5. Re: Google API in FM Web
                  jrenfrew

Malcolm, there is a registry trick to register json as if it is the same mime type as xml, then the browser plays nicely.

• 6. Re: Google API in FM Web
                    Mike Duncan

In my case, the map that I'm displaying in my solution happens to be on a publicly accessible server. Anyone could use it, and by proxy, google's map. I'm simply displaying it in a web veiwer, but you could use a web browser as well (launch with a button...go to URL) so it's within their licensing.

Even if your database is exclusive, it can still access public tools to display information.

• 7. Re: Google API in FM Web
                      Malcolm

Malcolm, there is a registry trick to register json as if it is the same mime type as xml, then the browser plays nicely.

I have to rule that out. The solution is for a large educational institution. It has to be able to run cleanly in the default working environment.

I have found a messy workaround. If, instead of requesting json output, I request the works, which includes local search, directions, etc, the lat/lon occurs at several places inside the code, in json format.

Malcolm

• 8. Re: Google API in FM Web
                        guy@guym.com

Upon further reflection and cheap rationalization:

If I install the app on a clients machine, THEY download the map as necessary, I merely give them the tool to create the map request. 

If I shipped a product that included maps, then I'd need to register as commercial user and pay up.

Guy

• 9. Re: Google API in FM Web
                          Malcolm

Don't peddle your nonsense here. That's a joke not an opinion.

If you are prepared to pull the wool over your own eyes, more the fool you.

Malcolm