5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2012 3:00 PM by Stephen Huston

FM12_New Container_External storage feature

LWAv

FM12_New Container_External storage feature

I manage a gallery inventory of works of art with thousands of illustrated entries/records.

So far I have reduced large, high resolution images of works manually to circa 20-40kb sizes to not make the database file slow and unmanageable.

When I then need to find and use the large High Res images for proposals and documentations with proper, large, print quality images I always had to search for the original High Res image stored outside the database, and retrieve the information pertaining to the work of art from the filemaker inventory database.

If I understand the usage of the new container external storage feature in filemaker 12 correctly this whole procedure should now be streamlined so that I store all images of Works of Art in their original High resolution in the external storage (open), wich means I can still view all works of art (thumbnail) images within the inventory file, without overloading/increasing the database file with the huge image material accumulating from all the combined high res images? I can then also directly from layouts within my filemaker database of illustrations with works of art captions generate print quality full page illustrations.If this is indeed the capacity of this new feature, it is brilliant - for my purposes.

I appreciate confirmation from those of you who know, and/or feedback.

Many Thanks,

• 1. Re: FM12_New Container_External storage feature
          Stephen Huston

It sounds like you have the basic idea. However...

CAVEAT: If you choose to use Open external storage, remembner that the externally stored data is absolutely off limits for any kind of editing. Even though it is open, it is part of the FM database structure. You can look but don't touch. You cannot open and save, rename or do anything else to the files within the open storage area.

If you want to use those files in any way, you must COPY them to another location outside of the container storage area, do the work there, and then, if you want the new file in the database, you must reinsert it via the FM database interface, not by editing the open storage files.

Any changes made manually to the open storage file area will result in FM treating the container contents as tampered data, and your ability to use it will be defeated.

• 2. Re: FM12_New Container_External storage feature
            LWAv

Many thanks, and thanks for the warning.

I would only store an edited, perfect, print quality of each art work in this external storage. From the inventory itself I would generate illustrated lists or full page illustrations of single works of art.

I would always have the original photo saved on a CD, or in an exhibition or artist file on my hard drive. I assume problems in storage could then be fixed from the original CD material on file if need be.

I will test run it on a bunch of catalogue entries and see how it works out.

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: FM12_New Container_External storage feature
              Stephen Huston

Data inside the open strage area my only be placed their via the container field in the FileMaker interface, not by editing anything in this area via the OS directories. The open storage area is part of the FM file structure, and editing anything within results in "tampered" data.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: FM12_New Container_External storage feature
                LWAv

Many thanks. I think I am on the right track and working with it, I could see how problems can occur.

In principle, I suppose as long as all editing of images is done before the images are used for insertion in the container and / open storage I should be fine?

I am testing it, but thanks you so very much for your kind and helpful response.

Elisabeth

• 5. Re: FM12_New Container_External storage feature
                  Stephen Huston

Yes, if you do your editng then insert the image to the container, the new image is stored in place of whatever was there before.

If you want to edit it again later, you can actually go into the open storage area, copy that image from there to somewhere else to edit it further, but then you need to save it outside of the open storage area and re-enter it via the container field. The new version will then be sitting in open storage if you need to repeat the process later.

1 of 1 people found this helpful