6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2012 11:17 AM by samjs

Project Management Task Due Dates based on Weeks

samjs

I am creating a Project Management database, and my goal is to track projects that reoccur every year. Rather than creating due dates for project tasks every single year, I want to have FMP calculate the due dates for each task based on the project due date. My thoughts are to create task start and due dates based on the number of weeks out from the project due date.

Example:

Task: Recruit Cast

Start Date: 16 weeks before the project due date (Once the week is chosen, then the date would be calculated in another field)

Due Date: 15 weeks before the project due date (Once the week is chosen, then the date would be calculated in another field)

I would also like the start date to always be on a Monday, since most tasks will be started at the beginning of the week.

What functions would I use to create this solution? I am developing this in Filemaker Pro 12.

Thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: Project Management Task Due Dates based on Weeks
          comment

I am a bit confused by this part:

Due Date:  15 weeks before the project due date

That doesn't make sense to me.

samjs wrote:

I would also like the start date to always be on a Monday

You need to specify which Monday: the one before the calculated date, the one after, the one in the same week or the nearest one (or something else completely).

• 2. Re: Project Management Task Due Dates based on Weeks
            samjs

Michael,

I would like each task to have a start date and an end date (Due Date).  Let's say my total project due date is October 1, I would like to set a task start date and due date based on the number of weeks before the project due date.

Let's say I want to create a task of recruiting my cast 4 week prior to the project due date, it would look like this:

Task:  Recruit Cast

Start Date:  4 Weeks before Project due date which would be Monday, September 3

Due Date:  3 Weeks before Project due date which would be Monday, September 10

• 3. Re: Project Management Task Due Dates based on Weeks
              comment

OK, I see I have missed the task part. I am still not sure I see the entire picture. Anyway, 4 weeks before project due date is =

Project::DueDate - 28

If your project is due October 1, 2012, this would return September 3, 2012 which happens to be a Monday.

• 4. Re: Project Management Task Due Dates based on Weeks
                samjs

The reason I'm thinking of it this way is because my same project repeat every year.  Rather than having to change each tasks start and due date every year, I'm trying to set it up so all I have to do is change the project end date and it will back track and fill in the dates on all tasks according to the end date. 

Should I not be thinking of it as weeks prior to the project end date?  Should I consider thinking of it as days prior?  I think I weeks is a little easier to plan than days.  My project planning range is 6 months.

• 5. Re: Project Management Task Due Dates based on Weeks
                  comment

samjs wrote:

Should I not be thinking of it as weeks prior to the project end date? 

Well, it's very simple: if you have a field in the Tasks table to indicate the required number of weeks, then the actual date can be calculated as =

Project::DueDate - 7 * YourField

or, if you prefer =

Let (

d = Project::DueDate - 7 * YourField

;

d - DayOfWeek ( d ) + 2

)

which will always return a Monday of the same week.

samjs wrote:

I'm trying to set it up so all I have to do is change the project end date and it will back track and fill in the dates on all tasks according to the end date.

That's possible, but you will lose the track of previous project schedules.

• 6. Re: Project Management Task Due Dates based on Weeks
                    samjs

Thanks Michael!  I'll give it a try.  It looks simple!