8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2012 3:09 PM by Stephen Huston

Binding Files - Runtime - Not enough room on the disk

bennieboop

I am using FMPA 11. I have a set of files that are currently housed in FMP6.0 (I know, old, hence, the conversion). So, we have converted the files from fp5 to fp7, made some wonderful changes and are ready to bind and create a cross-platform standalone runtime solution. No problems there. Here is my issue. Once I complete the bind process, test to make sure all the features I want to work are working ( or need to be fixed) I delete the runtime solution, fix whatever needs corrected and bind again to test again. When I do this, I always get an error message that says "There is not enough room on the disk to complete this operation. Make more room on the disk, then try again."

In my research of this issue, I have figured out that FileMaker stores a temp file on my computer to complete the bind. As long as that temp file exists, I will get this error message. It has something to do with the file extension I have chosen for my runtime solution. The reason I know this is because when I would bind in 6.0 and I forgot to remove said temp folder, I would get an error message that said the extension was already in use. Additionally, for giggles, in FMPA 11 I chose a different extension for the solution and was able to bind.

My fix for the moment is to do a disc clean up on my computer, which removes the temp file (I cannot find the temp file to manually remove it). This does something funky to my actual FMPA 11 program. It won't let me into FMPA11, so I then do a system restore to the day before. Once the system restore is complete, I can then get into FMPA11 and I can bind my solution files again (using the orginally runtime solution extension). It is a long process. It results in me only being able to do one bind test a day (which is slowing development of the product) because of needing to do a system restore in order to bind again.

Does anyone else have this problem? Do you know where I can locate this file and destroy it so that I do not need to do a system restore. HELP!

Thanks for any help in advance. At this point I am frustrated.....

• 1. Re: Binding Files - Runtime - Not enough room on the disk
          bennieboop

I can't bind at all.  I tried uninstalling FMPA 11 advanced and reinstalling it.  System restore will no longer work.  I keep getting that stupid space error issue, when there is plenty of space on my hard drive to complete the bind.  I cannot even bind with a different extension specified. 

Please anyone, I am desperate.....HELP!!!!!!!!!!

• 2. Re: Binding Files - Runtime - Not enough room on the disk
            SecretWeaponLabs

Never seen this, do you have another machine to try this on?  Maybe try creating another user on your system and putting all files in that users profile and try binding there.

Just taking a stab at it,

Denis

• 3. Re: Binding Files - Runtime - Not enough room on the disk
              bennieboop

I can bind if I use a flash drive as the project folder.  Still not sure why I cannot bind with the project folder on my pc. 

• 4. Re: Binding Files - Runtime - Not enough room on the disk
                Stephen Huston

I few questions:

• How much unused disk space is there on your target hard drive?
                • What is your OS? It it a virtual machine, and if so, do you  need to increase the virtual machine's disk allocation?
                • Does the target disk/directory have full read-write permission for the area where you are writing the runtime?
                • If on Windows, have your disk utilities been used? They can boost performance and result in larger clean disk blocks for file writing.

The fact the a flash drive works suggests this is a disk problem rather than FM issues alone.

• 5. Re: Binding Files - Runtime - Not enough room on the disk
                  bennieboop

I agree with you Stephen whole heartedly.  It most def is a disk issue on my computer.  I can only bind once, and they kaput.

To answer your questions, I have plenty of unused space on my hard drive, 402 GB to be exact.  I am operating on Windows 7.  I have full read-write permission.  I have defragmented my hard drive and used disk clean up.  No dice, I still get the same error message.

I have discovered that the reason I can bind, rebind, rebind again on the flash drive is because I have the ability to delete everything off the drive.  There is a file on my PC that I cannot locate to delete.  I have used theWindows search function to look for the extensions that are involved with binding, ie *.dlls, *.dll as well as the specific extension that I used for the runtime solution and the search yields 0 results. 

• 6. Re: Binding Files - Runtime - Not enough room on the disk
                    Stephen Huston

OK, so definitely a disk issue, and probably some hidden or corrupt file. You mentioned ".dll" formats, so do you know the name of the file that is causing the problem, or what have you deduced is going on?

If you know what it is, is it a file that was generated by FileMaker during a Runtime creation process?

There are some disk utilities which will reveal hidden files, but it sounds like the problem file may be "locked" is some way.

• 7. Re: Binding Files - Runtime - Not enough room on the disk
                      bennieboop

I have deduced that the file at issue is FTStrs.dls and have searched it out on my hard drive.  I find it located in the runtime solution itself.  From what I gather this is the "program" that creates the runtime solution on both MAC and PC.  It adds this file to the runtime itself.  After deleting the runtime solution, one would think I could create another runtime solution, but I can't.  I get the memory error.

You spoke of a utility to reveal hidden files.  Due tell, what utility this is. 

Thanks again for your assistance.

• 8. Re: Binding Files - Runtime - Not enough room on the disk
                        Stephen Huston

Regarding Windows hidden files:

bennieboop wrote, in part:

You spoke of a utility to reveal hidden files.  Due tell, what utility this is.

Windows 7 shouldn't require any utility, according to the Microsoft website:

"Here's how to display hidden files and folders.

1. Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options. 
                        2. Click the View tab.
                        3. Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then click OK."

This is not a feature you want to leave turned ON except when trying to locate and deal with a specific problem file. Way too messy for everyday OS interface work.